View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ayyur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Qtile WM + KDE5: Screen does not turn off Reply with quote

I managed to get Qtile Window Manager (WM) set up to work flawlessly with KDE 5 under X11, except for one thing:

Screen never turns off, it will black out for a second then goes back on.

I thought the issue was because of KDE5, as there were reported bugs about similar problems where the following command doesn't work
Code:
sleep 1 && xset dpms force off

That was not the case (it's not KDE5): when I start a pure Qtile or KDE5 x11 session, the command 'xset set...' works with no issues and the screen turns off.

So the issue is coming from the combination of the two.

I started disabling services and features one by one to get to the culprit. It turned out to be pipewire. When I kill the process associated with it, things are back to normal and the 'xset set...' works as expected, but with no sound devices (obviously).

So I'm trying to figure how to solve this problem of the screen not turning off in a session of Qtile WM + KDE 5 without having to disable pipewire.

I have no clue how to approach the next steps.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Ayyur

Last edited by Ayyur on Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ayyur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Problem solved! Reply with quote

I think I figured out the issue, accidentally.

I was solving an issue I had with microphone settings. It turned out I had to add the user to the audio group, even though the Gentoo wiki says otherwise:

Quote:
For the best experience with fast user switching, it is recommended that you remove your user from the audio group unless you rely on the audio group for device access control or ACLs:

Now the screen turns off and the microphone works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: