XFCE4 Permissions Issue after Profile Update [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flurp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: XFCE4 Permissions Issue after Profile Update [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I updated my 3rd box (a laptop) to a 23.0 profile this weekend and now have an issue with system interactions from XFCE4. I suspect that it's more to do with the world rebuild than the profile change, but I could well be wrong.

I am running open-rc with split-user so am now on
Code:
default/linux/amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable)

Previously I had everything working as intended but after the update system functions are no longer working. The shutdown menu is able only to log out: power off, reboot etc are greyed out. The lid switch causes suspend although it's set not to and the screen brightness keys are not working. Also, the power button immediately shuts the system down despite being set to bring up the shutdown menu.

I am starting the system with lightDM and checked elogind is running (and added it to the boot runlevel, although that wasn't needed before).

loginctl gives:
Code:
SESSION  UID USER    SEAT  TTY
     30 1000 richard seat0   

1 sessions listed.

which I assume is correct.

One other thing: I re-emerged xfce4-session after finding these issues with the result that I no longer get the shutdown menu as expected but instead am logged out immediately on clicking the action button. The options are still set to bring up the shutdown menu & confirmation dialogue.

Has anyone any idea what I might have missed?

Last edited by Flurp on Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurningMemory
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: XFCE4 Permissions Issue after Profile Update Reply with quote

Flurp wrote:
Previously I had everything working as intended but after the update system functions are no longer working. The shutdown menu is able only to log out: power off, reboot etc are greyed out. The lid switch causes suspend although it's set not to and the screen brightness keys are not working. Also, the power button immediately shuts the system down despite being set to bring up the shutdown menu.

If you are able to perform shutdown and reboot from the cli then try to backup your configs
and delete all the xfce configuration, see if that helps. If you are not able to shutdown from
terminal then it's most likely not an XFCE problem.
Flurp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. You're absolutely correct, some setting is playing havoc with XFCE. I forgot to mention that LightDM could shutdown, reboot etc as expected as can root from the command line. I also installed LXQt and that too can shutdown, restart etc.

I haven't investigated the screen brightness keys or the power button yet but expect they're the same.

I'll now try to work out which of the settings is causing the problem. Seems strange that a straight rebuild should expose an issue like this, but maybe some deep dependency got updated.
Flurp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back up and running again, it definitely seems to have been a rogue XFCE setting causing issues. I have recreated my settings using the original files as reference and everything seems correct now.

Something that really confused me was that I have the action buttons set to present a menu for exit, power off etc. This is one option, the others being direct buttons for each function. During my flailing around I changed something such that the menu didn't appear but instead I was logged out immediately. I have since found that this was caused by an option in the session & startup settings 'Prompt on Logout' If this option is cleared the system doesn't bring up a confirmation dialogue when a direct action button is clicked - but it also doesn't bring up the selection menu if that button is clicked, instead it behaves as if the logout action were clicked. Wasn't expecting that!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: