View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Thunderbird - Mouse position is offset from mouse pointer Reply with quote

Mouse position is offset from mouse pointer in Thunderbird (mail-client/thunderbird and mail-client/thunderbird-bin and Flatpak affected) - Very similar to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1167429-highlight-firefox+mouse+position.html.

Roughly two years ago i installed Gentoo for the first time, and Thunderbird (as a Flatpak).
I immediately realized that Thunderbird did not read my mouse pointer position correctly - I had to position my cursor about 20px below a button to actually hit it. However, i ignored the issue as i was not using Thunderbird too often and thought that maybe i installed Gentoo incorrectly.

However i did never learn what i did wrong, and no other Flatpak or native package has ever shown this behaviour to me, (including the Firefox flatpak) so i ask for your help so this can get fixed for me and maybe even others.

What's Wrong?
In the "Main Window" where i can see all E-Mails, and in all other tabs like "Settings", "Calendar", "Tasks" and in the "Search + Window Control Bar" the mouse position Thunderbird recognizes is about 20px above the actual mouse pointer.

I have to point my mouse pointer to (and click) "Settings for Newsbar" to tell Thunderbird to close the window, as the "Close Window Cross" is roughlx 20px over the "Settings for Newsbar" button.
I have to click 1.5 E-Mails below the E-Mail i would like to open.

This problem does not occour in the "New Message" Window where you can write new E-Mails. Somehow everything is fine there.
This problem does not occour in any drop-down menu - Not even in the drop-down Burger Menu in the "Main Window" behind the Ctrl+K search bar.
Work around: Maximizing the window fixes the problem - even when the window is resized again, the mouse position is read correctly.
The problem was temporarily fixed - and then reappeared - between 2024-03 and 2024-05.

Reproducibility:

System:
  • Windowing System: X11
  • Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 5.27.11
  • Thunderbird 115.10.1

Thank you for your time!
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds to me to be a gtk problem or mouse theming issue.
So the problem remains even if you delete your ~/{.mozilla,.thunderbird}.
Have you tried with another fresh user on your system (with empty ~) ?
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I had not tried creating a new user, but now i created a new user using the Plasma System Settings. My (KDE) theme is gone, but the problem remains.
I just tested thunderbird-bin, because the flatpak is not installed system wide.

Tell me when i should test the Flatpak too, or when i should have used the console to create users.
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found something out because i am currently experimenting with Wayland: The problem does not occour on Wayland.
Also: The cursor does not jump when entering the Thunderbird window. Both on X11 and Wayland.
che
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue. One thing I noticed is that the issue is not present i profile selector (-ProfileManager), but kicks in when I open a profile or even start to set up a new one.

After selecting profile, Thunderbird prints out the following log messages:
Code:
[ImapModuleLoader] Using nsImapService.cpp
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=7.56422) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=7.56422) |[1][GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
 (t=7.56429) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.

ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
console.debug: "Found 0 public keys and 0 secret keys (0 protected, 0 unprotected)"
console.error: ({})
JavaScript error: chrome://messenger/content/aboutMessage.js, line 119: NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE: Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIWebProgress.addProgressListener]
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's a bit different.
When i run Thunderbird with -ProfileManager the ProfileManager is not affected by the mouse pointer bug, just as is yours.
Code:
user $ flatpak run org.mozilla.Thunderbird -ProfileManager
Gtk-Message: 11:08:48.190: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 11:08:48.190: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

However, when i select and start a profile, your VAAPI and JavaScript errors are not happening for me, as only the following lines are appended to the console:
Code:
Gtk-Message: 11:15:28.981: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 11:15:28.981: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
[Parent 2, Main Thread] WARNING: Can't find module 'dconf' specified in GSETTINGS_BACKEND: 'glib warning', file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(org.mozilla.Thunderbird:2): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 11:15:29.213: Can't find module 'dconf' specified in GSETTINGS_BACKEND

I looked up what canberra-gtk-module and appmenu-gtk-module are, and found that i already have both installed trough emerge, they are propably just inacessible to the flatpak, and the flatpak iself seems to not provide them.

I ran the binary Thunderbird:
Code:
user $ thunderbird-bin -ProfileManager

When i selected and started a profile:
Code:

Now the canberra-gtk-module and appmenu-gtk-module warnings are gone, but the issue remains.

Have you tried moving your .thunderbird and .mozilla folders out of the way temporarily? I'm asking because the
Code:
JavaScript error: chrome://messenger/content/aboutMessage.js, line 119

error seems to happen to others when there is something wrong with the user data like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/2056668.

What's strange is that i can not find the messenger/content/aboutMessage.js file. Not in the Thunderbird repo or in the Chromium repo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: