View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: [DOWNGRADED]System settings unuseable Reply with quote

Hello all:
There is a surprise for ~amd64 branch users, Plasma:6 got unmask and I updated it when I found it(I thought it will be unmasked when 6.1 released || Bugs that mentioned were solved)
BUT I got some problem:
1.The sddm is not scaling correctly as I was expacting(or should it be),I use a 27 inch 3840 by 2160 screen with X11 (Yes, I am still on Xorg), I did some configuration in /etc/sddm.conf.d as man sddm.conf told me for enabling HiDPI support and set cursor themme&size (SMALL PROBLEM)
It was working fine yesterday and today is not
2.I can not use most of the systemsettings, for example Desktop Session, Auto Start, Power Management, Region & Language, etc.
Every single one of them prints this on screen
Code:

qrc:/kcm/kcm_regionandlang/main.qml:26 Type Kirigami.InlineMessage unavailable
file:///usr/lib64/qt6/qml/org/kde/kirigami/InlineMessage.qml:63 Type KT.InlineMessage unavailable
qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami/templates/InlineMessage.qml:123 Cannot assign object of type "TP.IconPropertiesGroup" to property of type "IconPropertiesGroup_QMLTYPE_36*" as the former is neither the same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.

I am not familiar with QT at all so.....(BIG PROBLEM)

EDIT: When screen is locking, I can see only the mouse pointer and a black background (no background image shown)

Anyone else getting same issue?
Any lessons that I have missed and should have learned?
Please check

Last edited by nurali on Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=488326
Probably a work in progress . . .
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
Probably a work in progress . . .

Thanks for replying and sharing the bug link
Looks like I have to wait then.....
I'm kinda regretting updating it to 6 right now
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the system settings work the same with a fresh, clean user with no config files around?

I have not seen this issue in my LXQt set-ups (where I only have minimal bits of KF and friends to use KWin), nor my full Plasma testing set-ups so far.

I generally don't use a display-manager nor screen-locking, so don't really have ideas on those right now.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we seeing the full extent of the error messages or did you by chance truncate them?

In console, type as your user:
Code:
kcmshell6 kcm_regionandlang

Does the system settings region and language tab run correctly? If not, please post the full output from the terminal.

Try deleting your cache (~/.cache/*). There may be previously cached qml files interfering. Log out and log back in again.

Do as Chiitoo suggested and start a KDE Plasma session with a new user. The new user would have an empty default KDE Plasma config. Does the problem still persist? There may be configuration files in ~/.config that are incompatible with the upgrade. There also may be plasmoids or custom themes that are creating issues. Trying to replicate your problem with a new user will help eliminate those as a cause of the problem.

If none of that helps, I would file a bug report detailing the steps you took in your report to isolate and eliminate the problem.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Do the system settings work the same with a fresh, clean user with no config files around?

I have not seen this issue in my LXQt set-ups (where I only have minimal bits of KF and friends to use KWin), nor my full Plasma testing set-ups so far.

I generally don't use a display-manager nor screen-locking, so don't really have ideas on those right now.

Sorry for late replying, I was busy on some other things today
I tried creating a new user and switch to that new user, system settings are perfectly working, not anymore those error messages....
Should I delete any config file?
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
Are we seeing the full extent of the error messages or did you by chance truncate them?

In console, type as your user:
Code:
kcmshell6 kcm_regionandlang

Does the system settings region and language tab run correctly? If not, please post the full output from the terminal.

Try deleting your cache (~/.cache/*). There may be previously cached qml files interfering. Log out and log back in again.

Do as Chiitoo suggested and start a KDE Plasma session with a new user. The new user would have an empty default KDE Plasma config. Does the problem still persist? There may be configuration files in ~/.config that are incompatible with the upgrade. There also may be plasmoids or custom themes that are creating issues. Trying to replicate your problem with a new user will help eliminate those as a cause of the problem.

If none of that helps, I would file a bug report detailing the steps you took in your report to isolate and eliminate the problem.

Thanks for replying
I deleted ~/.cache/* and systemsettings is useable now, every module of it can be opened
And I tried but lockscreen is still black, can only see the cursor pointer (this is same in a new test users environment)
The sddm is still not scaling correctly.....
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are moving in the right direction.

Are you using X11 or Wayland session? If using X, try a Wayland session to see if the problem occurs there as well and vice versa.

Again, determine if it is a configuration issue or a bug:

Does the lockscreen issue still occur with a new user?

Are you using X11 or Wayland session?

You already deleted the cache, so you can probably rule that out as a factor, but you could do it again just to be sure.

Did you previously, under KDE 5, modify your lockscreen settings? Custom background image, etc?

I would recommend going to the system settings tab for the lockscreen settings. Adjust the settings to default and apply. If that doesn't fix the issue, For testing purposes, I would try changing the background type from image to solid color, apply the settings and see if the issue is the same.

There are a lot of bug reports and forum postings floating around about this same issue on KDE 6. Some have been resolved, some are still open. I would look over those and see if you find any bugs or fixes that may apply to you. Monitor those reports for changes or progress.

Again, be willing to file a bug and clearly but briefly outline the steps you have taken to correct or isolate the problem.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
At least you are moving in the right direction.

Are you using X11 or Wayland session? If using X, try a Wayland session to see if the problem occurs there as well and vice versa.

Again, determine if it is a configuration issue or a bug:

Does the lockscreen issue still occur with a new user?

Are you using X11 or Wayland session?

You already deleted the cache, so you can probably rule that out as a factor, but you could do it again just to be sure.

Did you previously, under KDE 5, modify your lockscreen settings? Custom background image, etc?

I would recommend going to the system settings tab for the lockscreen settings. Adjust the settings to default and apply. If that doesn't fix the issue, For testing purposes, I would try changing the background type from image to solid color, apply the settings and see if the issue is the same.

There are a lot of bug reports and forum postings floating around about this same issue on KDE 6. Some have been resolved, some are still open. I would look over those and see if you find any bugs or fixes that may apply to you. Monitor those reports for changes or progress.

Again, be willing to file a bug and clearly but briefly outline the steps you have taken to correct or isolate the problem.

Sorry for late replying
I am launching Plasma with Plasma(X11) session, I tried Plasma(Wayland), screenlock is normal
Yes, promblem is still there with a new user
I am X11 user for now
When I was using Plasma:5 I did not modify much systemsettings, at least not lockscreen settings, I simply changed a cursor theme for appearance
I tried applying defaults to settings, but did not work. But I found this now:
On X11 session, lock screen -> go black and if I kill the power of my monitor and start it again, I can see the lockscreen go back to normal, then I can lock or unlock it whenever I want, never goes black. But if I reboot the computer, I have to reboot the monitor also when system is on lockscreen state, then I can see lockscreen background image and everything.
Please check
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:

I copy-pasted part of systemlog. I tried lock screen -> restart monitor by pressing it's power button -> login on this special time period
This is the log: http://0x0.st/XcUX.txt
My current monitor's ID is 84, connected on DP port
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgraded Plasma version to slot 5, masked all Plasma:6 applications, everything are working fine now. I think this thread ends here
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you supply your logs to the upstream bug? It might have been valuable information to solve it.
rab0171610 wrote:

As you can see, it is in NEEDSINFO state.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Why didn't you supply your logs to the upstream bug? It might have been valuable information to solve it.
rab0171610 wrote:

As you can see, it is in NEEDSINFO state.

I have communicated with several Gentoo users, they also got this systemsettings issue, and seems like reported already.
To the screenlock issue and sddm scaling issue, for now seems like onle I got it, it is maybe caused by local config.
I have a project to finish right now, don't have much time for tracking and confirming, so...
I decided to finish my current work and update again to 6, if I get these issues again, I will report and seek for help on upstream
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: