power management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurningMemory
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: power management Reply with quote

I've checked the power management and cpu freq scaling pages, but I want to know
if anyone here has any other suggestions on proper battery care. I have a thinkpad E15, which I recently
installed gentoo on. I use TLP and the "performance" governor in the kernel config,
although TLP sets it to "powersave" in battery mode. The problem is that my battery
degrated relatively significantly in the few months of lightweight work, other than
compiling of course :)
My CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Kernel config: https://0x0.st/Xcqo.txt
xgivolari
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By battery care, do you mean battery life (i.e. the laptop draws too much power on battery) or battery health (i.e. the battery has lost capacity)? Because the latter has little to do with power management, i.e. which cpu governor you select, etc...

To preserve the health of your battery, the most effective tool is charge thresholds. Thinkpads support these out of the box with the thinkpad-acpi kernel driver. To verify support on your machine, there should be a directory /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 which contains, among other things, files named charge_control_end_threshold and charge_control_start_threshold. You can even set these limits via tlp.conf Check out the corresponding tlp wiki page for more info.
BurningMemory
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgivolari wrote:
By battery care, do you mean battery life (i.e. the laptop draws too much power on battery) or battery health (i.e. the battery has lost capacity)? Because the latter has little to do with power management, i.e. which cpu governor you select, etc...

To preserve the health of your battery, the most effective tool is charge thresholds. Thinkpads support these out of the box with the thinkpad-acpi kernel driver. To verify support on your machine, there should be a directory /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 which contains, among other things, files named charge_control_end_threshold and charge_control_start_threshold. You can even set these limits via tlp.conf Check out the corresponding tlp wiki page for more info.

I meant battery health. Thanks for clearing that up, didn't know it doesn't depend on power draw.
As for charge thresholds, when I'm at home I set them to 45/50 (start/end) and to 75/80 when
I need the battery. Aside from that, is there anything that I should know of?
The information is much appreciated.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurningMemory wrote:
45/50 (start/end) and to 75/80

use 75/80 for both to prevent memory effect development
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: