Refind Boot Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject: Refind Boot Questions Reply with quote

I've managed to get to the point of a kernel panic with
Code:
not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
using Refind as the boot manager.

Been doing some major reading in hopes of solving instead of having to restart the entire build and one comment in the EFI Stub Guide was using a partuuid= and passing it on the kernel command line. Can I add the partuuid= to the Refind Config so it passes it to the kernel on boot and what would it look like? The example in the Guide
Code:
 /dev/sda3: UUID="d1e0c1e0-3a40-42c5-8931-cfa2c7deae32" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="adf55784-15d9-4ca3-bb3f-56de0b35d88d"
is not extremely clear to me. I don't use an Initramfs as the critical features are built in (limited hardware, with some modules for stuff such as networking (ethernet/wifi) and sound if that helps

As stated, I already have everything built for a minimal install that can then complete everything else and am hoping that I'll be able to solve the kernel panic and actually get the blasted thing to boot.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to either use efibootmgr with -u to specify your root partition (not supported by all efi firmware implementations) or hardcode the root partition with CONFIG_CMDLINE in your kernel config in order for the kernel to find where your rootfs is.

I don't like hardcoding through efibootmgr or kernel, one false bios config and machine becomes unbootable unless you change back or use recovery image...
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refind is supposed to include efiboot-mgr though I'll have to check. As to the "partuuid=" seems to be related to either an initrd or cpio archive and I don't use either of them. I've read most of the posts in regards to getting the efi stub to boot, including the forum posts that seem to have helped someone solve the problem so it looks as though I have more reading to do.

Reading the EFI stub guide again, it does show the -u needs to be used with efibootmgr and gives an example. It also states that a partuuid is fine with efibootmgr as the other solution requires the initramfs (initrd) or cpio solution that I don't use. Don't see a need when I know all of the hardware and don't change thing often enough for it to be a problem
4x 4TB Sata - 2x 2TB Sata SSD - 4x 450GB SaS - 3x 900GB SaS - 72GB SaS for Gentoo system disk
LSI 9300-16i in HBA mode for all spinning disks
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rEFInd will read from refind_linux.conf for kernel options. It is often created when running refind-install with the necessary root partition details written to it but may be modified if they are incorrect.
In addition, rEFInd can edit boot parameters in its menu selection similar to GRUB.

If the panic message does not show a list of partitions available next to that vfs unknown-block message, then the driver for the disk is not present or not ready. More details on the device would be helpful as well as what the kernel config is.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Refind Boot Questions Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
I've managed to get to the point of a kernel panic with
Code:
not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
using Refind as the boot manager.

unknown-block(0,0) means the kernel doesn't have the drivers to read the device. This is the main issue.

FastTurtle wrote:
...one comment in the EFI Stub Guide was using a partuuid= and passing it on the kernel command line.

You are on the right track with this. When the kernel doesn't have an initrd/initramfs it doesn't know how find a filesystem UUID or LABEL, it can only determine a partition PARTUUID and then it will do guesswork to figure out what filesystem in in the partition.

You are just missing the device driver for your disk in the kernel. Maybe its a SATA driver or NVME?
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback on the unknown block. Not sure why the kernel can't read it as the driver is built in unless the issue is the LSI card (could be) but even then I built the drivers/features in for LSI.

As I ordered a replacement 9300-16i card, I'll be testing over the weekend. One thing I'll have to check is whether I disabled the
Code:
build-in command line
for the kernel. If I did and I do things like that by default to reduce kernel size, it could be the root cause of the problem but the partuuid makes sense not only for the kernel to boot correctly but fstab use to ensure things are on the correct partitions, which is the biggest advantage of GPT partitioned drives.

My thinking is still stuck on Lilo as that was the only reliable way to get the system to boot. The attempt resulted in the same/similar error although I was using a full MBR/Legacy configured disk. Hopefully, I'll solve this problem and get the system to boot correctly.
4x 4TB Sata - 2x 2TB Sata SSD - 4x 450GB SaS - 3x 900GB SaS - 72GB SaS for Gentoo system disk
LSI 9300-16i in HBA mode for all spinning disks
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: