Manjaro with working Brother printer, never Gentoo [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vespaman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Manjaro with working Brother printer, never Gentoo [Solved] Reply with quote

So I bought a laptop a month ago, and since I had very little time, I decided to install Manjaro on it.

Very quick install, and there' s much to like about Manjaro, hower, I realize this is not a long term solution - want to go Gentoo on this laptop as well.

The only thing that holds me back right now, is the fact that my Brother printer just worked without any installation in Manjaro, whereas in Gentoo, I never got it to work on my older laptop. I just searched for it under printer system settings, and it started working.
The hours I have spent on this in my Gentoo setup is countless, and I decided in the end that it mustn't be supported under linux.

So before I install Genoo on this machine, I'd like to get the older laptop to work with the same printer, now that I know that it "should work".

If I look in the system settings -> printer section on the Manjaro box, I see this;
Code:

Brother MFC-J6945DW (driverless), 2.0.0
Connection: ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6945DW._ipp._tcp.local/

I vaguely remember the Manjaro installation, but I think Bonjour was involved somehow, but enabling this on the Gentoo box, did not make any change there.

So my question is; what information can I collect to understand the dependencies of this printer working under Gentoo?
And, is there any particular kernel settings, use flags and packages, that I should install on the Gentoo box, in order for it to have all needed tools to get this printer working?

On the Gentoo box, I have another working network printer, a hp laserjet 1320, so cups as such is working, and the Brother printer is found as a printer but nothing works on it (does not print test page, and does not print any jobs).

Suggestions welcome, it is a bit claustrophobic to not use Gentoo on my new laptop :lol:

Last edited by vespaman on Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

FWIW I found it easier to get my Brother printer working with all kinds of Linux -- not just Gentoo -- if I give it a fixed IP number. Otherwise you'll need multicast to work on the network, plus a load of infrastructure involving Bonjour, avahi, ippfind, etc.

With a fixed IP, adding my printer is as simple as:

# lpadmin -p [name] -E -v ipp://[printer_ip]:631/ipp/print -m everywhere.

I've done this on three Gentoo machines now and, apart from once finding I needed to reboot (for unclear reasons), they've all worked fine. The printer has to support driverless operation, of course, to work this way.

I've lost count of the number of hours I've wasted, over the years, trying to keep network printer discovery working.

BR, Lars.
vespaman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooo... I am speechless. Totally in shock 8O

That line actually worked without any hesitation.

How could it have been this simple? All those hours I wasted on this. And all the extra work I have had to do to print stuff on that printer using windows in virtual boxes...

Why could there not be one line of this info on Brothers home page, instead of loads of old non-working drivers etc??

Thank you so much!

[still in shock]
Micael
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespaman wrote:
That line actually worked without any hesitation.
That's my experience with Brother too.
Normally they "just work" with Linux. ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older Brother HL-2800(?) cannot work with the everywhere model.

This is because everywhere requires SSL encryption on IPP that the printer simply does not comply with for one reason or another (even with the last available firmware).
The printer supports IPP, but not what cups wants (apparently).
Hopefully, there will always be a way to use it as only Gutenprint is the only working method at this time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: