Portage is hosed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Portage is hosed Reply with quote

I can spend hours fixing a package conflict before running into another completely broken package with seemingly useless error messages. I've done this several times already and I have nearly 700 packages left to update/install/etc. and I am pretty close to just uninstalling Gentoo and never looking back. Can someone help me out?

https://bpa.st/43TA
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

Please run emerge --oneshot dev-perl/XML-Parser to fix this issue
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error implies your dev-util/intltool package is broken -- it should already depend on dev-perl/XML-Parser since it internally uses it.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:
This error implies your dev-util/intltool package is broken -- it should already depend on dev-perl/XML-Parser since it internally uses it.

No it doesn't really. Portage can do some builds out of order particularly with this package particularly when a perl version or, now, PERL_FEATURES have changes.
This is a long standing issue that pops up occasionally. A true fix for this is more BDEPENDs on dev-util/intltool but it's not one for all either. It takes a lot of effort to scan for this.
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response guys. Looks like I've got a bunch of perl conflicts as well

https://bpa.st/INOQ

You should probably know that I've done a lot of autounmasking before deciding to just wipe my package.use. I think it was a good idea in the long run, but I may have shot myself in the foot atm.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight's first response gave you the solution to the error shown in both pastes. Did you try that fix before generating the more recent post?
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I did run it. I figured out what happened.

Sorry the pastes are wrong; accidentally sent you the info from running `emerge --info libdbusmenu`.

This is the output from the command you sent.
https://bpa.st/X3QA
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.470.0  PERL_FEATURES="(-debug) -ithreads -quadmath"

I would say this is definitely intltool being somehow broken, given that XML-Parser isn't installed at all.

grknight, an out of order build for a *new* package should be flat out impossible as it breaks the build graph. For intltool to be compiled and installed, XML-Parser must be as well. Sure, if XML-Parser is installed and broken and needs to be rebuilt, portage can get funky with the ordering, but that is only because intltool depends on "XML-Parser" and there is one installed, albeit broken.

Having a package installed, but not having its dependencies installed, is simply an outright installed-packages-database violation
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using the binary packages host?

At least until you get around this issue.

Best Regards,
Georgi
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:
Code:

[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.470.0  PERL_FEATURES="(-debug) -ithreads -quadmath"

I would say this is definitely intltool being somehow broken, given that XML-Parser isn't installed at all.

grknight, an out of order build for a *new* package should be flat out impossible as it breaks the build graph. For intltool to be compiled and installed, XML-Parser must be as well. Sure, if XML-Parser is installed and broken and needs to be rebuilt, portage can get funky with the ordering, but that is only because intltool depends on "XML-Parser" and there is one installed, albeit broken.

Having a package installed, but not having its dependencies installed, is simply an outright installed-packages-database violation

This depends on the commands run. Normally, Portage won't allow dev-util/intltool to be installed without dev-perl/XML-Parser as the latter is both a build-time and run-time dependency of the former. With dev-util/intltool installed, XML-Parser should never be "new".

The OP mentioned trying to resolve conflicts. One way people attempt this is with the --unmerge option which is almost always the wrong way to "fix" conflicts and often leads to more problems.

The first paste shows dev-libs/libdbusmenu which does have a build dependency on dev-util/intltool. If some manual intervention was executed on XML-Parser, then it is possible for Portage to believe everything is in order, again, depending on the command issued.

More information is required to know for certain. My original advice stands to get affected builds working.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add, with commands including bdeps being recommended left and right, depclean with no bdeps will clean build dependencies if they are not runtime dependencies of something else as well.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks logrusx, I did not know Gentoo had a binhost now; hopefully it's not hard to setup. I was big into Gentoo 20 years ago and got back into it a year ago so things have changed a bit and I apparently forgot more than I thought.

GRKnight: Oh, I definitely did some unmerging as I think I got stuck in some circular dependency, so that's almost certainly why it's missing. But as I said oneshot isn't allowing me to reinstall it.

At this point it looks like I've dissected my system too much and unless someone can point me to a command that's the opposite of --unmerge I'm pretty well out of luck with my knowledge and patience.

Last edited by Molimo on Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molimo wrote:
GRKnight: Oh, I definitely did some unmerging as I think I got stuck in some circular dependency, so that's almost certainly why it's missing. But as I said oneshot isn't allowing me to reinstall it.

So what needs to be accomplished is emerge -avDU @world. If this does not work, then post the entire output of the command with any blockers. In the future, avoid --unmerge option entirely. The only right time to use it is a "hard blocking" with an immediate reinstall of the same package if not a leaf.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molimo wrote:

Just tried emerge *recated* and that fails with a couple dozen entries of missing packages.

Nobody suggested to run that. It was just a guess how you could have unmerged it it. I should have been more careful and written that another way. Please edit your comment and delete that particular command, as you see from your own experience, all commands thrown away just like that get executed.

Give us the output of

Code:
wgetpaste -ic 'emerge -pvDU @world'

and don't rush into running commands nobody told you to. As I use to say here, if you want help don't do random stuff, provide information and wait for instructions.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Georgi, I removed it. Must've misread what you wrote; thought it might be a way to bypass dependencies safely, but that seems effectively impossible.

Thanks everyone for being patient with me. I shall not use unmerge in the future. I was able to workaround an issue that was stressing me out so I'm taking it slow now.

https://bpa.st/I6PA
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molimo wrote:
https://bpa.st/I6PA
Code:
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "~media-libs/vulkan-loader-1.3.268:0/0=[abi_x86_64(-),X]".
(dependency required by "dev-util/vulkan-tools-1.3.268::gentoo" [installed])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])

This is the important part of the output.
It seems as if something is blocking dev-util/vulkan-tools from upgrading to the latest stable. Is there a package.mask involved? Is there some other dependency holding this back?
What does emerge -pv dev-util/vulkan-tools output?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside what grknight asked for, also:

Code:
emerge -pvc vulkan-loader

and perhaps post the contents of your world file (/var/lib/portage/world). Wgetpaste is good for that too.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've got 2 different versions of vulkan-loader due to an ancient ffmpeg version required by vlc. Ran a pvc then a pvu on ffmpeg and ran into a few blocks there as well; not sure if I'm going down the right path, but I'll include em just in case.

For some reason bpa.st is not liking some of my files and have been fighting that on and off all day, but found a suitable replacement:

https://termbin.com/71ar
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molimo wrote:
Looks like I've got 2 different versions of vulkan-loader due to an ancient ffmpeg version required by vlc. Ran a pvc then a pvu on ffmpeg and ran into a few blocks there as well; not sure if I'm going down the right path, but I'll include em just in case.

For some reason bpa.st is not liking some of my files and have been fighting that on and off all day, but found a suitable replacement:

https://termbin.com/71ar

Please include the commands you're running. Wgetpaste would do that automatically. Also posting everything at once without clear separation of outputs is confusing.

Code:
[blocks B      ] media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon ("media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon" is soft blocking media-video/pipewire-1.0.7)
[blocks B      ] <media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon-16.99.1 ("<media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon-16.99.1" is soft blocking media-libs/libpulse-17.0)
[blocks B      ] media-video/pipewire[sound-server(+)] ("media-video/pipewire[sound-server(+)]" is soft blocking media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon-16.1-r7)

You can't have both pipewire and pulse-audio as sound servers. I'm not sure what pulls in both, but this begs the question, for how long your system hadn't been updated?

You can migrate to pipewire or stick with pulse-audio, but first you need to identify what pull those in.

Code:
wgetpaste -c 'emerge -pvDuUt @world'

If you want to go the pipewire route you can go directly to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire#Installation

Best Regards,
Georgi
Molimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I can finally get back to fixing portage.

This seems promising as it's passing all the blocks; what do you think?
https://bpa.st/YGLA

Odd, I don't have pipewire installed, but I do recall messing with it:
* media-video/pipewire
Latest version available: 1.0.7
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]

I do have the acct-group still installed though. Most likely an unmerge incident here; can I go ahead and -c it? I figure that's pretty safe though I'm curious about that block.
* acct-group/pipewire
Latest version available: 0-r2
Latest version installed: 0-r2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: