Go programs build take too long
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Go programs build take too long Reply with quote

Hello all:
Are there special make.conf variables for go programs?
Seems like -j12 in make.conf is not working for go-written programs in my computer
I just installed gentoo on my new home server(not finished yet, stucking on go), I did not see any output on console for a long time, and I checked htop, found only one logical CPU is 100%
Any solution?
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you really think you -j12 value isn't effective for that, seems weird but I'm not experienced enough to state if it's goofy, so let's try something else.

Pick up a program with this behaviour, runs emerge while using:

Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge yourcommand

If it's taking way more time, indeed the j value for make is taken as it should.

Some programs, while compiled, don't use as much as other. Compiling GCC is way heavier than htop for example, it won't use as much ressources as GCC will ask for.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go programs are generally slow because you'll have to download all the go modules which does take time. I'm not sure if it helps, but try FEATURES="parallel-fetch". Then, all the modules must be compiled one-by-one (because they depend on each other) which is slow. Although compiling one module should utilize compiler parallelization, the whole process is still slow.

tail -f the build log to see what's happening. I'd imagine it's the download phase that takes time for you.

EDIT: actually I just remembered we don't allow listing the modules anymore, but they're tarballed. Those "deps" may still be a rather big download and unpacking.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgdrenefort wrote:
Hello,

If you really think you -j12 value isn't effective for that, seems weird but I'm not experienced enough to state if it's goofy, so let's try something else.

Pick up a program with this behaviour, runs emerge while using:

Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge yourcommand

If it's taking way more time, indeed the j value for make is taken as it should.

Some programs, while compiled, don't use as much as other. Compiling GCC is way heavier than htop for example, it won't use as much ressources as GCC will ask for.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
GASPARD DE RENEFORT Kévin

Thanks for replying
That is a good idea, I can not test it right now, but maybe later I can try that as you said
It took me one and half hour to compile dev-lang/go with -j12 set, only thing I can do was staring at that one single thread running 100%, makes me feel like: other 15 was saying:hey look at this one, working so hard, let's dance around him....
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Go programs are generally slow because you'll have to download all the go modules which does take time. I'm not sure if it helps, but try FEATURES="parallel-fetch". Then, all the modules must be compiled one-by-one (because they depend on each other) which is slow. Although compiling one module should utilize compiler parallelization, the whole process is still slow.

tail -f the build log to see what's happening. I'd imagine it's the download phase that takes time for you.

EDIT: actually I just remembered we don't allow listing the modules anymore, but they're tarballed. Those "deps" may still be a rather big download and unpacking.

Thank you for replying
I am a bit confused actually, the package is in main tree, shouldn't it's dep modules are in distfiles? If they are, there should not be a fetching problem, just like some package's crates, or pip modules comes from main tree
Or Go has features like fetching modules in compile time?
This is the output when it was stuck and only one thread is working
Code:
 Building Go bootstrap cmd/go (go_ bootstrap) using GO toolchain1
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most build systems understand at least enough of GNU Make's options that -j should work. When this was slow, was the build process actually invoked with -j12? If not, it would almost certainly be single-threaded. If it was invoked that way, then your issue is that you hit a step that does not run in parallel even when encouraged to do so.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: