[SOLVED] media-libs/mesa use flag for Radeon RX570 iMac 18,3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] media-libs/mesa use flag for Radeon RX570 iMac 18,3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to emerge media-libs/mesa on a 2017 18.3 iMac that I've installed Gentoo on. I'd like to chose the right video card use flag for my video card, but I can't figure out which one to use. Could someone help me chose the right use flag please?

Code:
-->  lspci -v -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev c5) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Apple Inc. Radeon Pro 570
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50, IOMMU group 1
   Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
   Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
   I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
   Memory at 92600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
   Expansion ROM at 92640000 [disabled] [size=128K]
   Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
   Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
   Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, IntMsgNum 0
   Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
   Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
   Capabilities: [270] Secondary PCI Express
   Capabilities: [320] Latency Tolerance Reporting
   Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
   Kernel modules: amdgpu

equery u media-libs/mesa

Code:
 - - video_cards_r300      : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r300, r400 and r500 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r600      : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_radeon    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_radeonsi  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon

Last edited by Kellerkalt on Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my AMD64 box with an X570, the values in make.conf are:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi"

Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
For my AMD64 box with an X570, the values in make.conf are:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi"

Thanks, I did already have "amdgpu" in my make.conf, but I'll add "radeonsi" as well now. Aren't they two different cards though? A world re-build should be in order after adding "radeonsi" to the VIDEO_CARDS line, correct?

Any idea on the Mesa package use flag? I was thinking it should be either video_cards_r300 or video_cards_radeon, but maybe it should be video_cards_radeonsi instead? The card is listed in the link below as part of the "Arctic Islands" family, which I guess could be inferred as part of "Southern Islands" but it's all a bit confusing to me and they've had previous cards with in the 500 series of numbers so I'm just not certain which Mesa use flag should be used for this card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-570.c2939
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking closer at this webpage:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf#VIDEO_CARDS

I'm thinking my video card is part of the "Sea Islands" and not just "Southern Islands" as I thought, so I'll re-emerge media-libs/mesa with the "radeonsi" use flag.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerkalt wrote:
Thanks, I did already have "amdgpu" in my make.conf, but I'll add "radeonsi" as well now. Aren't they two different cards though?

They're the names of a couple of drivers which incorporate code to make AMD graphics cards work. For the X570, you need both for reasons I can't be bothered to understand ;-)
Quote:

A world re-build should be in order after adding "radeonsi" to the VIDEO_CARDS line, correct?

If you meant
Code:
emerge -e @world

no, that's excessive. It is just a change of USE flags, so
Code:
emerge --changed-use --deep @world

should suffice. (The --deep might be meaningless in this case, I don't know portage in that detail.)
Quote:

Any idea on the Mesa package use flag? I was thinking it should be either video_cards_r300 or video_cards_radeon, but maybe it should be video_cards_radeonsi instead? The card is listed in the link below as part of the "Arctic Islands" family, which I guess could be inferred as part of "Southern Islands" but it's all a bit confusing to me and they've had previous cards with in the 500 series of numbers so I'm just not certain which Mesa use flag should be used for this card.

The mesa build should pick up the relevant bits from VIDEO_CARDS.
Portage expands VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi" to USE="video_cards_amdgpu video_cards_radeonsi".
IIUC It's therefore unnecessary (and possibly wrong except in special circumstances) to specify both VIDEO_CARDS and "video_cards_foo"
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerkalt wrote:
I'm thinking my video card is part of the "Sea Islands" and not just "Southern Islands" as I thought, so I'll re-emerge media-libs/mesa with the "radeonsi" use flag.

For my X570, it's a POLARIS_10 (which is relevant if you build the kernel's amdgpu driver support inline and not as a module, because then you need to name to necessary firmware to go with it. Don't worry about that unless you already know about building driver components into the kernel.)
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help Goverp. I changed my make.conf to VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi" and then performed a "emerge --changed-use --deep @world" as instructed and it worked great.

I also used "video_cards_radeonsi" for the video card use flag for mesa and it helped resolve some tearing I was noticing when playing video using VLC (or at least I think it did).

Either way, thanks again very much for all the assistance!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: