qtwebengine-6.7.2 chromium version compile issuesFIXED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: qtwebengine-6.7.2 chromium version compile issuesFIXED Reply with quote

qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2:6/6.7.2 always fails about 2/3rds of the way through, even after seriously enlarging my gentoo and swap partitions with gparted,as the /var/tmp/dev-qt/ build environment file suggested would likely cause compile failure.' and it did, but since I have 6.7.1 version installed this must be a new issue.

I suspect the newest google-chrome-126.0.6478.114 version is still the main problem,as, while building is throws countless deprecations like this:

Code:
qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/perfetto/include -Igen/third_party/perfetto/build_config -Igen/third_party/perfetto -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/cpuinfo/src/include -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/cpuinfo/src/src -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/cpuinfo/src/deps/clog/include -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/fp16/src/include -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/fxdiv/src/include -I../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/pthreadpool/src/src -fno-ident -fno-strict-aliasing --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -fstack-protector -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-address -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-stringop-overread -Wno-psabi -Wno-multichar -Wno-format-zero-length -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fPIC -pipe -pthread -m64 -msse3 -O2 -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g0 -fvisibility=hidden -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-comments -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-dangling-else -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-psabi -Wno-unused-function -Wno-deprecated-comma-subscript -Wno-deprecated-copy -Wno-expansion-to-defined -std=gnu++20 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wno-narrowing -Wno-class-memaccess -Wno-attributes -Wno-class-memaccess -Wno-subobject-linkage -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wno-return-type -Wno-deprecated-copy -march=native -O2 -pipe -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp -c ../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/xnnpack/src/src/jit/aarch32-assembler.cc -o obj/third_party/xnnpack/jit/aarch32-assembler.o
../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/xnnpack/src/src/jit/aarch32-assembler.cc: In member function ‘void xnnpack::aarch32::TrampolineGenerator::generate(size_t)’:

../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/xnnpack/src/src/jit/aarch32-assembler.cc:770:17: warning: top-level comma expression in array subscript is deprecated [-Wcomma-subscript]
  770 |   ldr(lr, mem[sp, (num_regs_pushed + args_on_stack) * 4]);
      |                 ^
../../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/xnnpack/src/src/jit/aarch32-assembler.cc:776:18: warning: top-level comma expression in array subscript is deprecated [-Wcomma-subscript]

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
FAILED: src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore.stamp src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/tools/v8_context_snapshot/v8_context_snapshot.stamp src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore.stamp /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/tools/v8_context_snapshot/v8_context_snapshot.stamp /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore
cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2_build/src/core && /usr/bin/ninja -j8 -l0 -v -C /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.2_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64 QtWebEngineCore
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 * ERROR: dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2::gentoo failed (compile phase):

* ninja -v -j8 -l0 failed (however it always fails the same with either opts =J1,=J4,or =J8

this goes on for 2 hours +, and eventually slows,then locks, and fails with:
* ERROR: dev-qt/
* ninja -v -j8

All tips or feedbackis greatly appreciated

Would removing google-chrome, and emerging chromium-126.0.6478.114 in hopes
it does not have all the deprecated code problems be worth a shot?

Otherwise, my ~amd64 plasma-6 adventure is going well.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.39-r7, gcc-14
kernel-6.9.4 USE=experimental python3_12.3-final

Last edited by wrc1944 on Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The excerpt does not contain the information needed to debug. The deprecations are warnings and should not affect build, else it would fail on the first one.

Please post the entire build.log as well as the output of "emerge --info qtwebengine" somewhere and link it to here (pastebin, dpaste, etc., etc.)

I'm not sure what -l0 does with ninja. This according to help would not be very useful. Use -l1 at minimum and nothing lower. In any case it's the -j option that has any affect on memory consumption, as far as I can tell, setting -l0 just slows things down without much upside.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,
Thanks for the reply!

Had a hard time with paste bin, so tried this.Only got first part of the build log. I'll try again if this isn't enough. Will post other stuff as I figure it out.

Please let me know if the little dpaste was of any use.

https://dpaste.com/CTKJBYD6Y

To clear the opts I used in make.conf, I only tried =J1, =J4, and =J8, and No others, and all three failed in the same manner. Not sure where the J10 came from.

Here's the other info you mentioned.

Code:
gentoo-audio ~ # emerge --info qtwebengine
Portage 3.0.65 (python 3.12.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop/plasma, gcc-14, glibc-2.39-r9, 6.9.6-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
System uname: Linux-6.9.6-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_7_3700X_8-Core_Processor-with-glibc2.39
KiB Mem:    16318632 total,  10834816 free
KiB Swap:    4883452 total,   4883452 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:30:00 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 45ad79bd0148f4e7f70d2f1b94512f10aa2d4c87
sh bash 5.2_p26-r5
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.42 p3) 2.42.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.2_p26-r5::gentoo
dev-build/autoconf:        2.13-r8::gentoo, 2.72-r1::gentoo
dev-build/automake:        1.16.5-r2::gentoo
dev-build/cmake:           3.29.3::gentoo
dev-build/libtool:         2.4.7-r4::gentoo
dev-build/make:            4.4.1-r1::gentoo
dev-build/meson:           1.4.1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.40.0::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.12.4_p1::gentoo, 3.13.0_beta2_p9::gentoo
dev-lang/rust:             1.77.1::gentoo
dev-lang/rust-bin:         1.78.0::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.15::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.54::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.38::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.42-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           17.0.6::gentoo, 18.1.7::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             14.1.1_p20240615::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/lld:             17.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            17.0.6::gentoo, 18.1.7::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.9::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.39-r9::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    volatile: True
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: no
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 3
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync merge-wait multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox pkgdir-index-trusted preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs"
LEX="flex"
LINGUAS="en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cet crypt cups dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr elogind encode exif flac gdbm gif gpm gtk gui iconv icu ipv6 jpeg kde kf6compat kwallet lcms libnotify libtirpc linguas_en_US mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses networkmanager nls ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 readline screencast sdl seccomp semantic-desktop sound spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg test-rust tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis vulkan wayland widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xft xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gcc_12" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_anon authn_dbm authn_file authz_dbm authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sha sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 ntrip navcom oceanserver oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 tsip tripmate tnt ublox" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" L10N="en-US" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb text" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-2" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres15" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31 ruby32" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tarpit sysrq proto logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PYTHONPATH, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

Package Settings

dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.15.14_p20240510::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="alsa jumbo-build pulseaudio screencast system-icu widgets -bindist -debug -designer -geolocation -kerberos -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,--undefined-version"

dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.1::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl pulseaudio qml screencast system-icu vulkan widgets -accessibility -bindist -custom-cflags -designer -geolocation -kerberos -pdfium -test -vaapi -webdriver" ABI_X86="(64)"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"

gentoo-audio ~ #

Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea what might have happened, likely xnnpack bits failing due to the qt6-build.eclass needing to handle -mno-xop being passed

.. but I still need the full build.log to be able to confirm what happened, the error is not included in either of these pastes.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the build file and close to the end found many xnnpack items before it failed. maybe this wikk help?

https://dpaste.com/ELAHSM7PY
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I was expecting (that's xop intrinsics). So I've done https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=ab3a604aa77a to handle this.

Please wait a bit (~15-30 mins usually) for changes to hit mirrors then emerge --sync, hopefully it'll be enough.

To confirm that the workaround is in effect, you should see something like:
Code:
 * C(XX)FLAGS were adjusted due to Qt limitations:  -march=x86-64-v3 -O2
near the top of the new build.log (might be -v2 instead depending on your cpu, that's fine)
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, combining -march=native with -mno-* flags is kind of odd. native should auto-detect everything properly.

This is what caused your problems here, and ideally you should remove these. Not that I didn't need to work around this either way for normal use cases (aka without =native). If you only use "-march=native -O2 -pipe" then the workaround line won't appear and it should also build fine anyway.

Edit: By the way, -fomit-frame-pointer is default with -O2 on x86-64, so you don't need to pass it either.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonen,

Thanks very much!
On the -march=native with -mno-* flags I think I had to have that cflags line as it was reportedly needed for the early amd Ryzen 7 cpu.

Might be wrong on that, it was many years ago. :roll:
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonen,
Just to be sure, what needs to be changed in my CFLAGS line in make.conf?

-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-fma4 -mno-tbm -mno-xop -mno-lwp"
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the default of COMMON_FLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" should be fine, not super familiar with early ryzens but I don't imagine there being any problems given gcc will auto-detect, unless some usable instructions are straight up buggy somehow.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much, lonen, worked out fine with opts =J2, even if the last half of the compile was very,very slow, and paused many times for10-20 minutes leaving me wondering if thjis is yet another lock-up and failure.

Figure this must be lots of swapping going on, and I need 32Gb of fast RAM instead of my current 16Gb.

However, before qtwebengine-6.7.2 I had compiled previous versions right along in under 3 hours with opts set =J8.. :roll:
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16GB is plenty to use -j6 w/ qtwebengine (could do a bit more but to be safe) as long as you don't waste ram on something else, like PORTAGE_TMPDIR being on tmpfs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: