[Solved] Populating binhost from multiple Gentoo installs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: [Solved] Populating binhost from multiple Gentoo installs Reply with quote

Hi folks

I set up a private binhost, to reduce the amount of compilation needed to set up multiple machines. It works fine, but I only populated the binhost from one place.

My computers are similar, but they different display adapters, for example. So I've had to compile different Xorg drivers on different machines. Now I'm wondering if I can populate the binhost from all machines, and get a complete set of compiled binaries.

My concern is that there is a file 'packages' at the top of the binhost directory tree, that is different on each machine. I presume that this file is necessary for the binhost operation, and I can't just overwrite it?

If that's the case, can package details be merged?

In general, though -- how can I build multiple machines, and ensure that all the compiled binaries from all the machines end up in the binhost?

BR, Lars.

Last edited by lars_the_bear on Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about binhosts but this is a related thread and addresses your question at least in part: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1169504.html

Best Regards,
Georgi
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sync the binhost across all machines and then building binary packages will update the existing Packages index. You can also use emaint to fix the index if binary packages are manually copied in (for example simultaneous updates on multiple machines , where all files end up in the binhost but only one version of Packages is kept).

The packages will coexist just fine since different USE flags produce different package metadata. As long as you don't use different CFLAGS / CXXFLAGS / LDFLAGS.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:
You can also use emaint to fix the index if binary packages are manually copied in (for example simultaneous updates on multiple machines , where all files end up in the binhost but only one version of Packages is kept).

Aha! That seems to be exactly what I need.

Except...

The binhost isn't a Gentoo machine. It's just a webserver. I'm not sure where I'd run emaint in this case.

I could consolidate all the binary packages on one Gentoo machine, I guess, and run emaint there. Does that sound plausible?

BR, Lars.
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I would do in that situation, yes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: