Question about GURU's dev-ml/ollama
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Question about GURU's dev-ml/ollama Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently dev-ml/ollama was added to the GURU repository. Today I heard of a serious security bug in the news with ollama, fixed in version 0.1.34. But the dev-ml/ollama is version "9999" and running "ollama --version" reports version number "0.0.0" Does anyone know anything about this ebuild or what version it is, or whether the security bug will be fixed?

Thank you!
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, a version -9999 ebuild is whatever was current in master at the moment you built it. Therefore, whether it includes the fix of interest depends on whether that fix was in master when you last built that version.

The internally reported version of 0.0.0 is probably because the upstream project does not maintain a proper version number in source control, and instead patches that in as part of the release process. If so, the reported version is meaningless.

I cannot comment on when or if the upstream project will fix the bug. Since you did not link to any of the news, I do not know what security bug you mean.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Normally, a version -9999 ebuild is whatever was current in master at the moment you built it. Therefore, whether it includes the fix of interest depends on whether that fix was in master when you last built that version.

The internally reported version of 0.0.0 is probably because the upstream project does not maintain a proper version number in source control, and instead patches that in as part of the release process. If so, the reported version is meaningless.

I cannot comment on when or if the upstream project will fix the bug. Since you did not link to any of the news, I do not know what security bug you mean.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/06/24/rce_ollama_wiz/
Banana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commits from the mentioned tag in the news, are merged into the main branch, which is the default branch in the repo. The ebuild does use this repo and its default branch. So the fix should be in there.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
eugene-bright
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about GURU's dev-ml/ollama Reply with quote

redblade7 wrote:

"ollama --version" reports version number "0.0.0"

Here is the ebuild fix, the version will be reported correctly as soon as it's accepted (for the new builds of course)
https://github.com/gentoo/guru/pull/205
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: