Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] What are all the zero-length files in binpkgs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: [Solved] What are all the zero-length files in binpkgs? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm trying to consolidate all the binary packages I built myself on various computers, into a single place, so I can make sure I have everything in my private binhost.

I copied all the packages to one computer's /var/cache/binpkgs, and then ran 'emaint binhost --fix', which I understand will rebuild the `Packages` file.

But `emaint` spat out a load of error messages about 'invalid binary package'. These messages turned out to correspond to `.gpkg.tar` files that are empty. I have a stack of these on all my machines, in the /var/cache/binpkgs directory.

I think this situation arises when a later version of a package gets built. In a package directory with multiple versions of the package, all but the latest `.gpkg.tar` is zero-length. I also have a bunch of `.partial` files, most of which are empty.

Is it normal to have all these zero-length files? Or have I been doing something wrong? Can I just delete them, so `emaint` stops complaining?

BR, Lars.

Last edited by lars_the_bear on Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using FEATURES=buildpkg ?

If so, I don't think you should be seeing either 0 length files of that name or partial's. Are you syncing other binpkgs from other systems, or does this machine only have it's own binary packages?
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Are you using FEATURES=buildpkg ?

If so, I don't think you should be seeing either 0 length files of that name or partial's. Are you syncing other binpkgs from other systems, or does this machine only have it's own binary packages?

Thanks. I'm not using FEATURES=buildpkg, although I would have done, had I known about it. I do have FEATURES=getbinpkg, so some of the binaries on this system would have come from Gentoo binhosts. The problem is present on the first machine I installed, which I'm using to provide a binhost for all the others. This machine did not have any binhost except the Gentoo one.

Just for example, the `/var/cache/binpkgs/app-alternatives/cpio` directory looks like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:14 cpio-0-1.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-1.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:16 cpio-0-2.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-2.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:18 cpio-0-3.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-3.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:22 cpio-0-4.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-4.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:23 cpio-0-5.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-5.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 7 11:30 cpio-0-6.gpkg.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-6.gpkg.tar.partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 18 11:53 cpio-0-7.gpkg.tar

However, at least fifty directories show the same pattern.

I have no idea what any of this means. Can the '.partial' files actually be used? Are are they just broken? And, if they're just broken, can I delete them?

I don't think I've done anything odd -- just a bunch of `emerge` operations. It's plausible (well, actually, certain) that I ctrl-c'd quite a few emerge operations that seemed to be taking too long. I don't know if that's relevant.

None of this seems to be breaking anything -- I think `emaint` is building the Packages file correctly, despite all its error messages. I just need to know whether it's safe to delete all this stuff.

BR, Lars.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
It's plausible (well, actually, certain) that I ctrl-c'd quite a few emerge operations that seemed to be taking too long. I don't know if that's relevant.

Next time

Code:
tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log

before you hit CTRL+C because you think it's taking too long.

Best Regards,
Georgi
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.partial files are created by FEATURES=getbinpkg, when downloading remote files. They can happen if you ever interrupt emerge via CTRL+C while it is silently downloading lots of files in the background, and never end up fully downloading those binpackages.

empty .gpkg.tar files are reserved by portage when using FEATURES=buildpkg. They are created due to https://bugs.gentoo.org/900226

Both can be freely deleted as they are effectively useless. The latter is actually a portage bug.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Conceivably some of the ctrl-c's I've done on emerge have been for my own .ebuild scripts. I mean, I don't see any point letting them run to completion, if they've already failed. But I wouldn't expect that to affect binaries apart from my own -- it seems odd to me, the pattern of packages that have zero-length files.

Oh, well. I've just deleted them.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: