binpkg-request-signature causing emerge to hang
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: binpkg-request-signature causing emerge to hang Reply with quote

Having a weird issue with a newish Gentoo build. I have this set in make.conf to use binary packages where provided:

FEATURES="${FEATURES} getbinpkg binpkg-request-signature"

Aside from some trouble during the initial install due to this system being behind a firewall, this has been working fine. However as of today when installing something emerge simply hangs. E.g.:

Code:
# emerge -dav dmidecode
[DEBUG] Using selector: EpollSelector

That's all it does. Top doesn't indicate that portage is doing anything. I see no log activity. Nothing ever returns (though I've only waited a max of about 5 minutes...).

An 'emerge -p' works fine. 'emerge --sync' works. But it hangs whenever I try to actually install something. I found that if I remove binpkg-request-signature from FEATURES, it works fine. Add it back, once again hangs.

Any idea what's causing this? I don't have much to go on with no output and no logs from emerge. I tried running it through strace for grins, and this is the last bit it's doing before it hangs:

Code:
access("/var/cache/binpkgs", W_OK)      = 0
pipe2([3, 7], O_CLOEXEC)                = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, ~[RTMIN RT_1], [], 8) = 0
vfork()                                 = 17693
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
close(7)                                = 0
read(3, "", 50000)                      = 0
close(3)                                = 0
wait4(17693,

But I can read /var/cache/binpkgs just fine:

Code:
# ls -l /var/cache/binpkgs | head -n3
total 913408
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 911348 2024-06-20 16:22 Packages
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root    134 2024-06-06 11:52 acct-group

I know that may be a red herring and something else is hanging it up, but not sure what else to look at.

Any suggestions?
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/usr/bin/getuto -v
hangs forever. It's the default PORTAGE_TRUST_HELPER (in make.conf) but without the -v for verbose.

Gentoo infra may be having some issues. ;)

You can set it to true to bypass this, consequences are that if Gentoo has to mark a release signing key as having been stolen then your system gets hacked.

I'm not fond of the fact that it refreshes the way it does... It's very prone to locking up portage
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz - just wanted to say thanks for the heads up about getuto. I've been away from my work computer, but just tried installing something again today and had the same problem. getuto -v also hung as you mentioned. I killed it after a while and ran again, but that time it completed (for whatever reason - I couldn't figure out an obvious reason for the initial hang), and now emerge is working.

So at least I have something else to try now before disabling signature verification.
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the specific incident on the 20th, I got some more information about the root cause:

Code:

2024-06-21 08:03:22     @sam_   apache on bz got stuck and the keyserver thing is where sks dies every so often
2024-06-21 08:03:25     @sam_   we're working on moving to hockeypuck
2024-06-21 08:03:28     @sam_   so just bad coincidence

There are also some investigations on how to prevent this from re-occurring. This may help (but likely not a complete solution): https://github.com/projg2/getuto/commit/59a86cb935e4f6448ea666808f6daebdd376627a
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: