Reserved memory usage greatly increased after kernel update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkncold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reserved memory usage greatly increased after kernel update Reply with quote

Greetings, Gentoo Community!

After upgrading from (I believe) Linux Kernel 6.6.30 to Linux kernel 6.6.32, my system's memory usage went from ~380mb with DWM on X (and nothing else open) to ~800mb with again, DWM on X with nothing open. This was on gentoo-kernel-bin.

I have since upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.9.6 (gentoo-kernel-bin with ~amd64) to see if this issue is resolved. However it seemed to be the same. I'm currently on gentoo-sources, 6.9.6, (not built using genkernel), I have stripped out drivers I do not use in a attempt to improve this issue, however it doesn't seem to help much.

Upon doing a dmesg | grep Memory, I have received this wonderful message:
Memory: 32582576K/33380764K available (18432K kernel code, 2559K rwdata, 5800K rodata, 1972K init, 2712K bss, 797928K reserved, 0K cma-reserved)

Telling me that my system is using...797MB for "reserved". I'll be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure what this means. I have introduced no new hardware into the system nor have I changed any BIOS settings since this kernel upgrade.

Is it possible to somehow drop this value without reverting to kernel 6.6.30? As I understand, this "reserved" memory is not going to cache/programs, and it clearly was lower before this update.

Much thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: