Hanging on EFI Stub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saturnalia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject: Hanging on EFI Stub Reply with quote

When I try to boot into my Gentoo installation, my computer gets stuck on
Quote:
EFI stub: Loaded itrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 9

I know other people have had this issue, but I've gone through literally every solution I've come across and nothing has worked for me. I've previously installed Gentoo with NVIDIA, and I haven't had this problem before. I've made sure the kernel supports the NVIDIA drivers correctly, and that the correct framebuffers are enabled, but I still freeze on that text. I've even tried switching to the nouveau drivers (my card does support them, but I prefer the proprietary ones for performance reasons), but still, no good. I've also made sure that secure boot is disabled inside of my BIOS, so I really don't see any reason that this should be happening. It's very possible that I could've done something wrong, but I followed the page to get NVIDIA drivers to work exactly, and I went through multiple times to make sure all of the settings were correct.

sidenote: sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I just felt that kernel & hardware fit this issue best.

edit:
I checked /var/log/messages, and I saw nothing that really was a red flag to me. I did see:
Quote:
Unknown kernel command line parameters "BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.6.30-gentoo", will be passed to user space.

Maybe this could be part of the problem? But if I understand correctly, it wouldn't have even booted past grub if there really was an issue with it. Aside from that though, I saw nothing else that really looked like an issue.
kickhead13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im curious about the solution since I had the same issue. I didnt find a way to solve it on a built from source kernel, but it works fine with the binary kernel. Still I'd want to switch my kernel for a built one at some point.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is usually caused by missing framebuffer support, it's not hanging, the support to output stuff to the screen is simply absent so you don't see anything. Try enabling SIMPLE_DRM/SIMPLE_FB.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging on EFI Stub Reply with quote

Quote:

When I try to boot into my Gentoo installation, my computer gets stuck on

if you are using startup.nsh file add efi=nochunk

for instance

Code:

FS0:\Kernels\vmlinuz.efi efi=nochunk initrd=\Ramdisks\fw-initrd.xz security=smack

If it still get stuck that could be a video firmware missing

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: