Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unable to upgrade ffmpeg (packages depend on old version)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Unable to upgrade ffmpeg (packages depend on old version) Reply with quote

I am unable to upgrade ffmpeg, because "media-video/obs-studio", "media-libs/mlt", "media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav", "net-im/viber::nest", "media-gfx/blender" and "dev-qt/qtmultimedia" depend on "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58". I assumed that I could install both "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.60.60" and "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58" at the same time, due to the fact that they are a on different slots, but portage doesn't seem to agree with me. I really need the new mpv and ffmpeg versions. Is there anything I can do to do the upgrade?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only problem is net-im/viber::nest package. All other you listed are compatible with media-video/ffmpeg-6.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the actual output along with the full command you're running and your emerge --info. Everything can be fine at once using wgetpaste. Run wgetpaste -ic 'your emerge command here, replace -a with -p'

Best Regards,
Georgi
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Post the actual output along with the full command you're running and your emerge --info. Everything can be fine at once using wgetpaste. Run wgetpaste -ic 'your emerge command here, replace -a with -p'

Best Regards,
Georgi

This is the link to the paste - https://bpa.st/5JLQ
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viber is not the problem, I have exactly the same version from exactly the same place. When was the last full world update you did? What command did you use?

Try 'emerge -uDUav mpv'. If it succeeds let it go. If it doesn't, run full world update (emerge -uDUav @world) and try again. If any of those commands break, show me the output.

Best Regards,
Georgi
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Viber is not the problem, I have exactly the same version from exactly the same place. When was the last full world update you did? What command did you use?

Try 'emerge -uDUav mpv'. If it succeeds let it go. If it doesn't, run full world update (emerge -uDUav @world) and try again. If any of those commands break, show me the output.

Best Regards,
Georgi

The last world update I did was yesterday ('emerge -avuDN @world'). 'emerge -uDUav mpv' and 'emerge -uDUav @world' both fail with the same error message I provided earlier. I will try syncing the repositories and then updating @world to see if that changes anything.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadoslavL wrote:
I am unable to upgrade ffmpeg, because "media-video/obs-studio", "media-libs/mlt", "media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav", "net-im/viber::nest", "media-gfx/blender" and "dev-qt/qtmultimedia" depend on "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58".
Presently, yes. However, that is only a subslot dependency, so rebuilding them might fix it.
RadoslavL wrote:
I assumed that I could install both "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.60.60" and "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58" at the same time, due to the fact that they are a on different slots
These are in the same slot: slot 0. The subslot is a mechanism for ensuring ABI consistency, not for permitting parallel installation of multiple versions.

You write that the latest command fails with the same output. This seems a bit unlikely, but possible. What is the output of emerge --pretend --depclean ; emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv ; emerge --pretend --verbose --deep media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

The last world update I did was yesterday ('emerge -avuDN @world'). 'emerge -uDUav mpv' and 'emerge -uDUav @world' both fail with the same error message I provided earlier. I will try syncing the repositories and then updating @world to see if that changes anything.

Strange. Can you post the contents of your world file?

Best Regards,
Georgi
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem should be net-im/viber::nest, in fact if you read the ebuild you will find the line
Code:
|| ( media-video/ffmpeg-compat media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58 )
this means that either you install media-video/ffmpeg-compat (package that is included in the overlay itself and should coexist with media-video/ffmpeg)
or you install <ffmpeg-5, but this make conflicts with the other packages. I have no idea if the media-video/ffmpeg-compat package will create other conflicts in any way.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
The problem should be net-im/viber::nest, in fact if you read the ebuild you will find the line
Code:
|| ( media-video/ffmpeg-compat media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58 )
this means that either you install media-video/ffmpeg-compat (package that is included in the overlay itself and should coexist with media-video/ffmpeg)
or you install <ffmpeg-5, but this make conflicts with the other packages. I have no idea if the media-video/ffmpeg-compat package will create other conflicts in any way.

Either something's preventing ffmpeg-compat from being installed or ffmpeg is recorded in world. That's why I asked for the contents of world.

@Radoslav, could you run emerge --deselect ffmpeg and see if emerge says it deleted ffmpeg from world or it can't find ffmpeg in world? If the former, you have world pollution that should be cleaned.

Best Regards,
Georgi
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Either something's preventing ffmpeg-compat from being installed or ffmpeg is recorded in world. That's why I asked for the contents of world.

Yes it's true I didn't think of that. It may also be that OP is in a stable system and only needs to unmask media-video/ffmpeg-compat.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Yes it's true I didn't think of that. It may also be that OP is in a stable system and only needs to unmask media-video/ffmpeg-compat.

Bingo! OP's in stable. See the wgetpaste I requested.

Code:
~ $ grep ffmpeg-compat /etc/portage -r
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/media-video:=media-video/ffmpeg-compat-58 ~amd64

Best Regards,
Georgi
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to produce something similar by commenting ffmpeg-compat entry from package.accept_keywords, although because I don't have obs-studio and other stuff, it's not the same:

Code:
~ # emerge -av viber

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 30.58 s (backtrack: 6/20).

[ebuild  r  UD ] media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo [6.1.1-r5:0/58.60.60::gentoo] USE="X alsa bzip2 dav1d encode fontconfig gnutls gpl iconv mp3 network opengl openh264 pic postproc pulseaudio sdl svg threads truetype vaapi vdpau vorbis vulkan x264 xvid zlib (-amf) -amr -amrenc (-appkit) -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection (-cuda) -debug -doc -fdk -flite -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -glslang -gme -gmp -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libaribb24 -libass -libcaca -libdrm -libilbc -librtmp -libsoxr -libtesseract -libv4l -libxml2 -lv2 -lzma (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) (-mmal) -modplug -nvenc -openal -opencl -openssl -opus -oss (-qsv) -rav1e -rubberband -samba -snappy -sndio -speex -srt -ssh -static-libs -svt-av1 -test -theora -twolame -v4l -verify-sig -vidstab (-vmaf) -vpx -webp -x265 -zeromq -zimg -zvbi (-jpegxl%) (-lcms%*) (-libplacebo%) (-shaderc%) (-soc%)" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav-1.22.11:1.0::gentoo  USE="nls -test" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-misc/minidlna-1.3.3::gentoo  USE="-netgear -readynas -zeroconf" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-video/mplayer-1.5_p20230618::gentoo  USE="X a52 alsa cdio dts dvd dvdnav enca encode iconv ipv6 jpeg libass mad mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png pulseaudio sdl shm truetype unicode vdpau vorbis x264 xscreensaver xv xvid -aalib (-aqua) -bidi -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -cpudetection -debug -dga -doc -dv -dvb -faac -faad -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gsm -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -live -lzo -md5sum -nas -openal -oss -pnm -pvr -radio -rar -rtc -rtmp -samba (-selinux) -speex -tga -theora -toolame -tremor -twolame -v4l -vcd (-vidix) -xinerama -yuv4mpeg -zoran" CPU_FLAGS_X86="avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-video/pipewire-1.0.5:0/0.4::gentoo  USE="X bluetooth dbus echo-cancel extra ffmpeg gstreamer modemmanager pipewire-alsa readline sound-server ssl systemd v4l -doc -flatpak -gsettings -ieee1394 -jack-client -jack-sdk -liblc3 -lv2 -man -roc (-selinux) (-system-service) -test -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N    ~] net-im/viber-21.8.0.11::nest  USE="pulseaudio -apulse" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-video/mpv-0.38.0:0/2::gentoo  USE="X alsa cdda cli drm dvd egl iconv jpeg lcms libmpv lua nvenc opengl pipewire pulseaudio uchardet vaapi vdpau vulkan wayland xv zlib (-aqua) -archive -bluray (-coreaudio) -debug -dvb -gamepad -jack -javascript -libcaca -openal -rubberband -sdl (-selinux) -sixel -sndio -soc -test -tools -zimg" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="(luajit) (-lua5-1)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 0 KiB

Total: 7 packages (1 downgrade, 1 new, 5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

media-video/ffmpeg:0

(media-video/ffmpeg-6.1.1-r5:0/58.60.60::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X alsa bzip2 dav1d encode fontconfig gnutls gpl iconv lcms mp3 network opengl openh264 pic postproc pulseaudio sdl svg threads truetype vaapi vdpau vorbis vulkan x264 xvid zlib (-amf) -amr -amrenc (-appkit) -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection (-cuda) -debug -doc -fdk -flite -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -glslang -gme -gmp -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -jpegxl -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libaribb24 -libass -libcaca -libdrm -libilbc -libplacebo -librtmp -libsoxr -libtesseract -libv4l -libxml2 -lv2 -lzma (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) -modplug -nvenc -openal -opencl -openssl -opus -oss (-qsv) -rav1e -rubberband -samba -shaderc -snappy -sndio -soc -speex -srt -ssh -static-libs -svt-av1 -test -theora -twolame -v4l -verify-sig -vidstab (-vmaf) -vpx -webp -x265 -zeromq -zimg -zvbi" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" conflicts with
    media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58 required by (net-im/viber-21.8.0.11:0/0::nest, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="pulseaudio -apulse" ABI_X86="(64)"
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (media-video/mpv-0.38.0:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav-1.22.11:1.0/1.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-video/mplayer-1.5_p20230618:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-video/pipewire-1.0.5:0/0.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (net-misc/minidlna-1.3.3:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

However similar packages are involved and at no point portage suggests adding ffmepg-compat to package.accept_keywords.

After adding ffmpeg-compat back to package.accept_keywords:

Code:
~ # emerge -av viber

Dependency resolution took 2.88 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild  N    ~] media-video/ffmpeg-compat-58::nest  USE="X alsa bzip2 dav1d encode gnutls gpl iconv mp3 network opengl pic postproc pulseaudio sdl svg threads truetype vorbis vulkan x264 xvid zlib -amr -amrenc -appkit -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -codec2 -cpudetection -cuda -debug -doc -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -glslang -gme -gmp -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libaribb24 -libass -libcaca -libdrm -libilbc -librtmp -libsoxr -libtesseract -libv4l -libxml2 -lv2 -lzma (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) -modplug -nvenc -openal -opencl -openh264 -openssl -opus -oss -qsv -rav1e -rubberband -samba -snappy -sndio -speex -srt -ssh -static-libs -svt-av1 -theora -twolame -v4l -vaapi -vdpau -verify-sig -vidstab -vmaf -vpx -webp -x265 -zeromq -zimg -zvbi" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N    ~] net-im/viber-21.8.0.11::nest  USE="pulseaudio -apulse" 0 KiB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

I don't think portage should issue a warning that a package is masked in this case, however in case of that being an option to resolve the dependency graph it might be a bug in portage, because I think it has done so in other instances.

Best Regards,
Georgi
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
RadoslavL wrote:
I am unable to upgrade ffmpeg, because "media-video/obs-studio", "media-libs/mlt", "media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav", "net-im/viber::nest", "media-gfx/blender" and "dev-qt/qtmultimedia" depend on "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58".
Presently, yes. However, that is only a subslot dependency, so rebuilding them might fix it.
RadoslavL wrote:
I assumed that I could install both "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.60.60" and "media-video/ffmpeg:0/56.58.58" at the same time, due to the fact that they are a on different slots
These are in the same slot: slot 0. The subslot is a mechanism for ensuring ABI consistency, not for permitting parallel installation of multiple versions.

You write that the latest command fails with the same output. This seems a bit unlikely, but possible. What is the output of emerge --pretend --depclean ; emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv ; emerge --pretend --verbose --deep media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv?

emerge --pretend --depclean -> https://pastebin.com/ha7teV6s

emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv -> https://pastebin.com/jvfwvV39

emerge --pretend --verbose --deep media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv -> https://pastebin.com/h6cPGGJ5

Last edited by RadoslavL on Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

Best Regards,
Georgi

https://pastebin.com/y4J6M2d9
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:
RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

Best Regards,
Georgi

Radoslav, didn't you see my other replays? You need to add:

Code:
media-video/ffmpeg-compat ~amd64

to your /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.

Still, I think you could have some pollution.

Dev-libs, dev-python, media-libs stuff is suspicous. But I think fedeliallalinea and I identified your main problem in my previous replay.

p.s.

RadoslavL wrote:
emerge --pretend --verbose --deep media-video/ffmpeg media-gfx/blender dev-qt/qtmultimedia:6 media-video/obs-studio media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav net-im/viber media-libs/mlt media-video/mpv -> https://pastebin.com/h6cPGGJ5

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo

Exactly the same thing which happened with my experiment:

logrusx wrote:
I was able to produce something similar by commenting ffmpeg-compat entry from package.accept_keywords, although because I don't have obs-studio and other stuff, it's not the same:

Code:
~ # emerge -av viber

[ebuild  r  UD ] media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo

Best Regards,
Georgi
RadoslavL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:
RadoslavL wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

Best Regards,
Georgi

Radoslav, didn't you see my other replays?

Still, I think you could have some pollution.

Dev-libs, dev-python, media-libs stuff is suspicous. But I think fedeliallalinea and I identified your main problem in my previous replay.

p.s.

RadoslavL wrote:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo

Exactly the same thing which happened with my experiment:

logrusx wrote:

Code:
~ # emerge -av viber

[ebuild  r  UD ] media-video/ffmpeg-4.4.4-r9:0/56.58.58::gentoo

Best Regards,
Georgi

Thank you very much! I already solved the ffmpeg dependency issue, but I will look into cleaning my world file up. Thank you for the provided help and additional information for solving the problem!
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck with VLC which needs, ffmpeg-4, while vlc-9999 breaks phonon-vlc (automatically pulled in, no flags to disable it :( )
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
I'm stuck with VLC which needs, ffmpeg-4, while vlc-9999 breaks phonon-vlc (automatically pulled in, no flags to disable it :( )

I have no problem emerging vlc with ffmpeg 6. Please open a new thread and share the complete command you're running along with its output and your emerge --info.

Best Regards,
Georgi
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
tnt wrote:

I have no problem emerging vlc with ffmpeg 6. Please open a new thread and share the complete command you're running along with its output and your emerge --info.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Thx. I'll do it, but to put it simple, this is dependency I'm running into:

Code:
<media-video/ffmpeg-5 required by (media-video/vlc-3.0.21:0/5-9::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
logrusx wrote:
tnt wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

Thx. I'll do it, but to put it simple, this is dependency I'm running into:

Code:
<media-video/ffmpeg-5 required by (media-video/vlc-3.0.21:0/5-9::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Things are never as simple as they appear.

Best Regards,
Georgi
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
media-video/vlc                 -vaapi
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Try
Code:
media-video/vlc                 -vaapi

Problem solved. Thx!
I always thought that "Video Acceleration API for hardware decoding" is something I should aim for... :)
finoderi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with vlc. Gentoo wiki advises to put global vaapi flag into make.conf. But apparently it blocks ffmpeg form updating to newer versions because of vlc. How an average user like me is supposed to know that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: