Music composition software
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Music composition software Reply with quote

Hi folks

I appreciate that this is only tangentially a Gentoo question.

If I can find a workable substitute for Sibelius (music notation editor), I can be free of Windows for ever. At least, I can when I retire -- my customers won't let me go that easily until then. I've already moved -- with difficulty -- from Lightroom to Darktable, Photoshop to Gimp. Both, frankly, are poor substitutes, but I loathe Windows.

In the past I've tried various music notation applications for Linux -- Rosegarten, MuseScore, etc., -- and not been hugely impressed. I don't know if that situation has improved. Does anybody know if there is an application that will build and run properly on Gentoo, and can edit a full orchestral score and render it to audio? Actually, outputting MIDI would probably be enough, because there are adequate ways to do the sound rendering already.

BR, Lars.
kurdy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have previously experimented with Musescore, specifically version 3.x (current version is 4.x), alongside my brother-in-law, a classical guitarist and conductor who typically uses Sibelius. During our trial, I successfully transcribed portions of orchestral and guitar scores into Musescore, receiving positive feedback from him. However, due to his familiarity with Sibelius, he chose not to fully adopt Musescore despite its capabilities. Like any software, there is a learning curve that is crucial to mastering.

Regarding MIDI functionality, I used Musescore to transcribe piano parts for working on my double bass play. While the playback quality on both computer and Yamaha piano was not entirely satisfactory, the functionality proved to be beneficial for my work.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sibelius is the clear winner in this category. The only other near equivalent I have found is Musescore. That being said, Musescore is lacking in some areas in my opinion. Musescore has the advantage in that it is free, but Sibrlius is definitely worth paying for. There is no other software that works as well as Sibelius and has all the features, including sounds and playback that I am aware of. If there is I would love to know about it.
I think on Gentoo, due to compilation times and dependencies I would probably try Musescore as an AppImage which would be point a click and include all the dependencies. I use Sibelius on Wine (Bottles). It seems to work fine except for self-reporting some obscure error about some driver not loaded at the beginning, probably midi related. However, it seems to work without error after that. I am able to write and save .sib project files and scores. I don't know if playback works well, but the sound plays at the beginning when I open Sibelius in Wine. I previously used it in Windows in dual boot situation, but it became the only reason I was keeping a Windows drive and I eventually gave it up.
Update: Opening a previous midi file I created, playback does not produce sound on Sibelius in Wine. All playback devices are shown as inactive. When trying to activate them, Sibelieus reports the specified device is already in use, please wait until it is free and try again (MMSYSTEM/IN). It does work still work to manipulate and create scores.
ormorph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on this, but midi audio in Rosegarden depends entirely on what audio sequencer you're using. For example, when using qsynth, the sound will depend on the .sf2 sound bank. The best sound is obtained if you use qsynth with jackd output. I'm using pipewire with the jack-sdk flag enabled, this allows me to work directly with jack clients without running the jackd daemon. You can record sound from rosegarden using ardour, the main thing is to figure out how to connect the channels. To edit .sf2 you can use polyphone. Pipewire can also connect a sound source to a sound receiver; there is a graphical utility for this, qpwgraph. The only difficulty is in learning.
Here is a link to a video with rosegarden and qsynth. You can get much better sound if you choose a good .sf2.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
There is no other software that works as well as Sibelius and has all the features, including sounds and playback that I am aware of. If there is I would love to know about it.

Me too. I've never tried running it with WINE, but it works in a VirtualBox VM if you can give it 32Gb RAM ;) But that still amounts to running WIndows, with all the problems that entails.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: