View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED][KDE] Dragon player stop playing after world upgrade Reply with quote

After my latest world upgrade, KDE Dragon Player (and any other KDE video software as far as I can tell) stopped playing videos. When I start Dragon Player from a terminal, I see the following messages. The messages are repeated serveral times and in random order:
Code:
WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::VideoWidget ( no objectName ).
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ).
I see the same messages again, if I either try to open a video file are drag and drop a video file into the Dragon Player.

Moreover, I noticed that the system tray (at the bottom right next to the clock) only shows a single speaker symbol. There have been two previously.

Last edited by nagmat84 on Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some investigation the following output caught my attention:
Code:
equery g media-libs/phonon
 * Searching for phonon in media-libs ...

* dependency graph for media-libs/phonon-4.11.1-r2
 `--  media-libs/phonon-4.11.1-r2  amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qtgui-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtgui) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtwidgets) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/designer-5.15.14  (dev-qt/designer) amd64
   `--  dev-libs/glib-2.78.6  (dev-libs/glib) amd64
   `--  media-libs/libpulse-17.0  (media-libs/libpulse) amd64  [glib]
   `--  dev-qt/qtcore-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtcore) amd64
   `--  media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.10.0-r1  (>=media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.9.60) amd64
   `--  media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.12.0-r1  (>=media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.9.60) amd64  [qt5(+)]
   `--  kde-frameworks/breeze-icons-5.116.0  (kde-frameworks/breeze-icons) amd64
   `--  kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons-5.116.0  (kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons) amd64
   `--  kde-frameworks/kf-env-5  (>=kde-frameworks/kf-env-4) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.15.14  (dev-qt/linguist-tools) amd64
   `--  virtual/pkgconfig-3  (virtual/pkgconfig) amd64
   `--  app-alternatives/ninja-1  (app-alternatives/ninja) amd64
   `--  dev-build/cmake-3.28.5  (>=dev-build/cmake-3.20.5) amd64
   `--  dev-libs/libpcre2-10.43  (dev-libs/libpcre2) amd64
   `--  kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules-5.116.0  (>=kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules-5.106.0) amd64
[ media-libs/phonon-4.11.1-r2 stats: packages (18), max depth (1) ]

* dependency graph for media-libs/phonon-4.12.0-r2
 `--  media-libs/phonon-4.12.0-r2  amd64
   `--  dev-libs/glib-2.78.6  (dev-libs/glib) amd64
   `--  media-libs/libpulse-17.0  (media-libs/libpulse) amd64  [glib]
   `--  dev-qt/qtcore-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtcore) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qtgui-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtgui) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.15.14  (dev-qt/qtwidgets) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/designer-5.15.14  (dev-qt/designer) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qt5compat-6.7.1  (dev-qt/qt5compat) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.1  (dev-qt/qtbase) amd64  [gui widgets]
   `--  dev-qt/qttools-6.7.1  (dev-qt/qttools) amd64  [designer]
   `--  media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.12.0-r1  (>=media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.12.0) amd64  [qt5? qt6?]
   `--  kde-frameworks/breeze-icons-5.116.0  (kde-frameworks/breeze-icons) amd64
   `--  kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons-5.116.0  (kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons) amd64
   `--  dev-libs/libpcre2-10.43  (dev-libs/libpcre2) amd64
   `--  kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules-5.116.0  (>=kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules-5.115.0) amd64
   `--  virtual/pkgconfig-3  (virtual/pkgconfig) amd64
   `--  dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.15.14  (dev-qt/linguist-tools) amd64
   `--  app-alternatives/ninja-1  (app-alternatives/ninja) amd64
   `--  dev-build/cmake-3.28.5  (>=dev-build/cmake-3.20.5) amd64
[ media-libs/phonon-4.12.0-r2 stats: packages (19), max depth (1) ]

Phonon 4.11 had a dependency on media-libs/phonon-gstreamer, but Phonon 4.12 does not. (Or I am blind). GStreamer has been my default backend ever since.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://bugs.gentoo.org/935033.

I had disabled the VLC use flag and enabled Gstreamer as this had been the preferred Phonon backend for years. However, with the transition to QT6, Gstreamer became deprecated and the only Phonon backend left is VLC. The solution was to re-enable VLC again.

In the meantime, the VLC use flag has been removed from media-libs/phonon. So even with a disabled VLC use flag, VLC is pulled in by media-libs/phonon as it is mandatory if you want to have audio/video playback.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
In the meantime, the VLC use flag has been removed from media-libs/phonon. So even with a disabled VLC use flag, VLC is pulled in by media-libs/phonon as it is mandatory if you want to have audio/video playback.

Enabling the new minimal USE flag will avoid VLC from being pulled. That's what I did on my system as I don't need video previews with Dolphin.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes? But that wasn't the point.

Yes, you can emerge Phonon with the "minimal" use flag if you want to have a very minimalist setup. But video previews in Dolphin isn't the only thing you loose. You basically loose any audio/video playback functionality from every KDE application, e.g. KDragon, which uses Phonon for that task. I wrote VLC [..] is mandatory if you want to have audio/video playback. In the past, there was a choice between GStreamer or VLC as a Phonon backend. Some decades ago, I disabled VLC, because I didn't want the application, and used GStreamer as the Phonon backend. (It was also the recommended Phonon backend back then.) However, recently GStreamer became deprecated and VLC is the only option left.

That is what made me write the initial post, because I suddenly lost audio/video playback in KDE (and not only in Dolphin) and did not know why.

That is also the reason, why the the newest ebuild changed the use flag from VLC (as former alternative to GStreamer) to "minimal". So that nobody else falls into the same trap as me. Now, one has to explicitly enable "minimal", but then it should not come as a surprise if audio/video playback is lacking. And honestly, I do not know if there are so many use cases for a "minimal" installation. If someone choose to install a fancy desktop environment like KDE, one probably also expects support for audio/video playback.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
Yes? But that wasn't the point. [..] I wrote VLC [..] is mandatory if you want to have audio/video playback

Indeed, I skipped that last part of the sentence for some reason. Sorry about that.

nagmat84 wrote:
And honestly, I do not know if there are so many use cases for a "minimal" installation.

Tiling window managers users (like me). Dolphin and Ark are the only KDE apps installed on my main system so I'm not missing anything other than audio/video previews in Dolphin by using "minimal" USE flag.

nagmat84 wrote:
If someone choose to install a fancy desktop environment like KDE, one probably also expects support for audio/video playback.

Absolutely, at least in your case since you're using KDragon. As far as I'm concerned, I have Plasma installed on another PC and I'm now also using the "minimal" USE flag for media-libs/phonon. I'm using mpd and mpv for audio/video so it's fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: