"[FAILED] Failed to start Switch Root."
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulepacov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: "[FAILED] Failed to start Switch Root." Reply with quote

I get that message when powering gentoo on my laptop. I've installed gentoo with rEFInd on macbook 7,1 (2010 13inch model, one with core 2 duo and nvidia 320M). Besides the error in the title it also mentioned "entering emergency mode. exit the shell to continue. Type journalcrl to view system logs. You might want to save #txt location# to a USB stick or /boot. After mounting them and attach it to a bug report. Press Enter for maintenance or Control-D to continue"

Also keybaord does not work, I have to use an usb keybaord to do anything.

It also provided a log file which I am not sure how to copy, considering how little on the system works.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced this exact issue when critical directories are missing in the nascent /mnt/gentoo install directory. In particular, if dev is missing, then the keyboard (and many other things) will not be available. You can reboot your install media, mount the root partition on /mnt/gentoo and poke around to see if anything is missing. Look in particular for dev, proc, and sys.

dulepacov wrote:
It also provided a log file which I am not sure how to copy, considering how little on the system works.
Lots of the install media (Gentoo Minimal Install CD and SystemRescueCD, just to name a couple) have the wgetpaste utility. You can use that to post logs.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: