Interrupted kernel install, not sure how to proceed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoliteDiogenes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Interrupted kernel install, not sure how to proceed Reply with quote

Hello there,

So I am pretty new to gentoo, and have been trying to install it on a laptop remotely through ssh, using my work computer. Everything went well, until I started installing the kernel. 3 hours passed by, and it seemed like it was stuck in a loop, so just out of curiosity, I disconnected and reconnected the ssh session. But when reconnecting, the installation process wasn't viewable anymore, I got an empty cli. I quickly checked the laptop on which the process actually ran: the cli there showed the last commands that I gave on the laptop itself (initiating ssh, configuring wifi, etc.). Now I was completely at a loss for what I should do, and I gave out a shutdown command. It took a few tries to get the laptop installation running again (at first I booted from the gentoo live cd from which I originally started the installation: there it wouldn't recognize any commands I could easily execute before; then I tried the cached option, and now everything's back up running), and now I don't know how I should proceed: most likely I should remove of the kernel that has actually installed, but I don't know how. Or can I just repeat the kernel installation command, and it will overwrite my previous attempt?

Also I can no longer find the my ssd's partitions that I just created.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot find the partition you created... then can you run a smart extended test on your SSD? Sounds like it has some problems.

Oh and welcome to Gentoo. ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoliteDiogenes,

Welcome to Gentoo.

When you boot the liveUSB, you are in the liveUSBs filesystem. Changes you make there are saved to RAM as its really read only, with an 'overlay' filesystem in RAW to make it appear read write. These changes are lost every restart.

Once inside the chroot, you are in your own growing install. It's a real install that save things to your filesystem. Root commands you give there are saved to .bash_history.
They are still there.

To pick up where you left off, do the mount commands in the handboob, followed my the chroot steps.
Do not make partitions, do not make filesystems as these steps are destructive.

Once back in the chroot, continue your install, its all still there.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or can I just repeat the kernel installation command, and it will overwrite my previous attempt?

Yes, the kernel installation scripts will overwrite the previously installed kernel (USE=+systemd), or append .old to the name of the existing kernel and then install the new one (USE=-systemd). Either way it is safe to run kernel installation again via 'make install' (manual way) or 'emerge --config' (for distribution kernels).

Quote:
But when reconnecting, the installation process wasn't viewable anymore, I got an empty cli.

Disconnecting the running ssh session will usually cancel jobs running in that ssh session (unless you run them in 'screen' and disconnect that properly first before breaking the connection)
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
PoliteDiogenes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I am back again, and have started emerging the kernel again, and have lost ssh connection again. Having reconnected, and re-chrooted myself, I am trying to find out if the kernel installation is still happening. I have tried looking for the emerge command with the 'ps' utility, but wasn't able to find it. Does it mean that it has finished it's job?
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoliteDiogenes wrote:
I have tried looking for the emerge command with the 'ps' utility, but wasn't able to find it. Does it mean that it has finished it's job?
No. It was interrupted.
Unless you used some terminal multiplexer like screen or tmux?

Personally, I always run my emerge jobs inside tmux.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: