[Solved] Sending messages over D-Bus exceeds maximum
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nameiwillforget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Sending messages over D-Bus exceeds maximum Reply with quote

I have systemd on a newly installed Gentoo-system and finally got messages to be sent through the D-Bus system. But the pleasure was short-lived, because now this happens:
Code:

~ $ notify-send "test"
Sending message over D-Bus failed: Exceeded maximum number of notifications

Initially I thought I'd just wait a few minutes, but that was at least half a week ago (though I might not have rebooted during that time) and it still doesn't work. Why is there even a maximum number of notifications and how can I turn it up higher?

Last edited by nameiwillforget on Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts as it works fine here (kde, systemd, wayland). Is kde-apps/kdialog installed? In the past, have you modified your Notification applet settings in the System Tray? Is it enabled? Is it accidentally set to "Do Not Disturb" mode? Do you have a huge list of past notifications in the panel applet that have not been cleared? If so, right click on the notifications applet and click "Clear all Notifications".
Maybe not relevant, but is x11-libs/libnotify installed? It is here.
Do you see a pop-up in the system tray when you instead use this command:
Code:
kdialog --passivepopup 'text' 6
nameiwillforget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have kdialog installed, because I'm using StumpWM, but I installed it now to see what would happen. I ran the command you wrote, it does print the text in a box, but not like the box that would normally be used, which looks more like Gnome and is on the right side of the screen while this one was on the left. If I'm using notify-send, I still get the same error message though. If possible I'd like to not have to use kdialog permanently, because it's pretty much the only kde-program I'm using and the printed box looks a bit uglier than the other one. dbus.service and dbus.socket are both running. Oh, also I'm using X because StrumpWM doesn't work on Wayland.

Edit: forgot to mention this, since I'm using Stump, I don't really have any location on the screen where notifications are stored, they only pop up. However, I had the same setup on Arch, where I never ran into that problem.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my apologies, for some reason I thought I read you were using KDE. I see now that I was mistaken. I can see why you would not want kdialog installed and probably not that helpful. The info you provided in last post may be useful. Maybe the issue is related to notify-send after all. I did a quick search online and saw that others had reported this issue over the years for varying reasons.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than edit my previous post, I wanted to add on here in case you had already seen it.
https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib/blob/master/minor-mode/notifications/README.org

I am assuming you have x11-wm/stumpwm-contrib installed which provides the Stumpwm Notifications module? Maybe see link above to see if module is setup and loading correctly? I do not know anything about stumpwm.
nameiwillforget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that the maximum number of notifications of notify-send is 21, after that one has to do something like

Code:

killall notification-daemon

I've now switched to Dunst.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: