Screen freezes when not hitting keys
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babayusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Screen freezes when not hitting keys Reply with quote

This is my second Gentoo install on the second PC I ever built.

My first issue, that I have not found described like this anywhere, was that in the LiveUSB if I didn't hit a key for about 1 Minute the screen would freeze completely. I thought I messed up while building the PC so I continued the install hitting "o, backspace" the whole time.

When I finished and I tried to boot the screen froze again all I see before it freezes is

Quote:

EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 9

When booting the LiveUSB I see it getting stuck on this too but it śtill boots.
I read this guy (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8829859.html) having the same problem too so I enabled CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE, couldn't find SIMPLE_FB like the one guy said in the replies.
I also followed the AMDGPU wiki and enabled every option they list.

I also notice the screen freezing when the liveUSB is shutting down.

I'm not sure whether this is a PC Build problem because the liveUSB also doesn't work or a kernel problem because the boot works even worse.

GPU is a sapphire radeon 7800 XT (lspci says 7700, is this normal or did I get scammed?)
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is easier if you share your kernel config.

Are you using a initramfs?
babayusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry, new to this from now on on all of my problem posts Kernel Config:

https://bpa.st/BBQA
https://bpa.st/KQUA

Had to split the file so wgetpaste could upload it, is this still the community favourite method to get config files online?

I believe I am using initramfs, I have installkernel with dracut USE Flag installed which should generate the initframs if I'm understanding this correctly? If there are any config files I should upload I'd need you to point me to them.

I am using the standrad liveUSB, which also freezes after a minute of no keyboard input, this makes me believe it isn't a kernel config issue.

Last edited by babayusa on Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitting is acceptable, but you could also use app-text/wgetpaste and, if it does not do the right thing on its own, direct it to a pastebin service that allows larger pastes.

Sorry, I have no commentary on the problem that brought you here. Hopefully someone else can review your kernel configuration for problems. We have several regular posters who often do that.
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no kernel config expert either, but I would suggest, that you switch CONFIG_FB=m (built as a module) to CONFIG_FB=y (built-in to the kernel). Then you should be able to activate CONFIG_FB_EFI. Then you should see the messages at (early?) boot.

Please make the changes with "make menuconfig" and then rebuild the kernel.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen freezes when not hitting keys Reply with quote

babayusa wrote:
This is my second Gentoo install on the second PC I ever built.

My first issue, that I have not found described like this anywhere, was that in the LiveUSB if I didn't hit a key for about 1 Minute the screen would freeze completely. I thought I messed up while building the PC so I continued the install hitting "o, backspace" the whole time.
Since this happens with the LiveUSB, it seems more likely to be a hardware issue unless the hardware is uncommon or very new, in which case it may not be well supported yet.

But working on sMueggli's suggestion is worthwhile.

babayusa wrote:
When I finished and I tried to boot the screen froze again all I see before it freezes is

Quote:

EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 9

When booting the LiveUSB I see it getting stuck on this too but it śtill boots.
It may not be freezing but simply not showing you the output, which could be related to what sMueggli posted.

babayusa wrote:
I read this guy (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8829859.html)
FYI, this url had an "sid" at the end. I removed it as it theoretically could cause a problem.

babayusa wrote:
I also notice the screen freezing when the liveUSB is shutting down.

I'm not sure whether this is a PC Build problem because the liveUSB also doesn't work or a kernel problem because the boot works even worse.
That could be separate problems. Once the video boot issue is resolved, it would be worth running memtest86+ from the LiveUSB.

Also, the list of hardware components and the output of "lspci --vvv" may help.

babayusa wrote:
GPU is a sapphire radeon 7800 XT (lspci says 7700, is this normal or did I get scammed?)
If you didn't buy it from a disreputable source, it's probably fine. Sometimes drivers are associated with a "family" and work across devices. This shows that the two aren't too dissimilar:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_RX_7000_series
babayusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I started writing down what I changed, something I should've done before.

First I changed the following options:
- I did what sMueggli adviced, CONFIG_FB=y and CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
- I removed EFI stubs from the Driver, I thought since the issue is stub related and I have grub installed anyway this could help.

Things that changed:
Instaed of the EFI stub error then freezing I get following output then freezing:
Code:

Loading Linux 6.6.38.gentoo-x86_64 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

I also started to have two different boot options:
UEFI OS (M2 ...)
gentoo (M2...)
Both lead to grub then fail like above

Things I did now
- I doubted this would do anything but I changed /etc/inittab to open default terminals since I had it start greetd

pjp wrote:

FYI, this url had an "sid" at the end. I removed it as it theoretically could cause a problem.

Thanks! Good to know!

pjp wrote:

That could be separate problems. Once the video boot issue is resolved, it would be worth running memtest86+ from the LiveUSB.

I installed memtest while chrooted, selecting it in the grub afterwards led to a black screen.
Selecting it in the liveUSB grub gives me this then freezes (I can see the blinking underscore not blinking):
Code:

/EndEntire
file path: /ACPI(a0341d0,0)/PCI(1,2)/PCI(0,0)/PCI(0,c)/PCI(0,0)/USB(4,0)/USB(3,0)/File()/File(memtest.efi64)/EndEntire
_

pjp wrote:

Also, the list of hardware components and the output of "lspci --vvv" may help.

lspci -vvv:
- ran from chroot: https://bpa.st/RJZA
- ran from liveUSB: https://bpa.st/6RTQ
Both gave the Error
Code:
lspci runs with error "pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd"

And my hardware is:
PSU - Corsair RMe Series 2023 RM850e 850W ATX 3.0
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 8C/16T, 2.30-5.00GHz
CPU Cooler - Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Motherboard - MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI (which I have flashed the newest boot)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DIMM Kit 32GB DDR5-6000
SDD - Samsung ssd 980 pro
HDD - seagate barracuda compute
GPU - sapphire nitro radeon rx 7800 xt
Case - nzxt h5 flow
babayusa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I assumed there was a Framebuffer problem. I ended up following pietingers kernel guide and now the system boots. I had some issue with it not booting when initrafms is not supported but I'll read into it.

It also doesn't freeze after a minute of no input anymore, that happens only in the liveUSB and on this pc while not happening on my Laptop. So this is not a hardware issue, rather a hardware compatibility with the liveUSB issue (if my liveUSB isn't broken)? Maybe this is still relevant?
FilthyPitDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babayusa wrote:
So I assumed there was a Framebuffer problem. I ended up following pietingers kernel guide and now the system boots. I had some issue with it not booting when initrafms is not supported but I'll read into it.

It also doesn't freeze after a minute of no input anymore, that happens only in the liveUSB and on this pc while not happening on my Laptop. So this is not a hardware issue, rather a hardware compatibility with the liveUSB issue (if my liveUSB isn't broken)? Maybe this is still relevant?

pietingers kernel guide is great :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: