[Solved]Find installed packages where filter-lto was applied
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
costel78
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Find installed packages where filter-lto was applied Reply with quote

Hello,
I want to find out all packages installed on my system on which filter-lto was applied in ebuild. So far, came with this:

Code:
for f in `emerge -pe world | grep 'ebuild\|binary' | gawk '{print $4;}'` ; do
  n=`emerge --info =$f | grep -E '\bCFLAGS' --count` ;
  if [[ $n -gt 1 ]]; then
    m=`emerge --info =$f | tail -n 5 | grep CFLAGS | grep lto --count`
    if [[ $m -eq 0 ]]; then
      printf '%-65s: %s\t%s\n' "$f" "$n" "$m"
    fi
  fi
done

Instead of emerge -pe world | grep 'ebuild\|binary' | gawk '{print $4;} qlist -I could be use, but I needed exact version/slot.
Is there a better/faster way to archive this ?
Thank you!

Last edited by costel78 on Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about grep --files-without-match -e lto /var/db/pkg/*/*/CFLAGS? The resulting path will have the version embedded in it.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

costel78 wrote:
qlist -I could be use, but I needed exact version/slot.

Not withstanding Hu's answer, FWIW, if you need a version from qlist, add -v as it means version and not verbose.
e.g. qlist -Iv or qlist -IvS (for slot and version)
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
grep -Rl filter-lto /var/db/pkg

You get a spurious /var/db/pkg on the front, and foo.ebuild on the back, both of which can be trimmed in various ways (exercise left to the reader).

Strictly, it's a list of ebuilds containing filter-lto, and if it's applied conditionally, it will still count even if not actually in effect.
It's faster if you have ripgrep:
Code:
rg -g '*.ebuild' -l filter-lto /var/db/pkg

costel78
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What about grep --files-without-match -e lto /var/db/pkg/*/*/CFLAGS? The resulting path will have the version embedded in it.

Using flto instead of just lto is the faster way.

Thank everyone for support!
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Code:
grep -Rl filter-lto /var/db/pkg
You get a spurious /var/db/pkg on the front, and foo.ebuild on the back, both of which can be trimmed in various ways (exercise left to the reader).

Strictly, it's a list of ebuilds containing filter-lto, and if it's applied conditionally, it will still count even if not actually in effect.
I think this will also miss packages where the filter-lto runs in an eclass. I see that the eclasses for meson, qt5-build, qt6-build, and toolchain all have the ability to filter-lto, without the corresponding ebuild containing that string. The meson one appears to be removing it as a side effect of telling Meson to enable LTO in some other way, so missing it is fine there.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

man grep wrote:
-L, --files-without-match
Suppress normal output; instead print the name of each input file from which no output would normally have been printed.

This would rather match files that do not contain the search string. OP wants to find packages that contain it. Or am I misunderstanding both of you?

It matched all packages of my install and that's expected since I don't have anything related to lto.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP wants to find installed packages which used filter-lto. I took it as unstated that he set CFLAGS="-flto" (and presumably other, not relevant here, options). Therefore, every package which uses filter-lto should fail to have -flto in CFLAGS, because it was filtered; and every package which does not use filter-lto will have -flto in CFLAGS (because OP put it in make.conf, and without a call to filter-lto, it will be passed through the environment). Printing every package which fails to match lto in CFLAGS should find exactly those that actively removed it, which is the set the OP requested.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
OP wants to find installed packages which used filter-lto. I took it as unstated that he set CFLAGS="-flto" (and presumably other, not relevant here, options). Therefore, every package which uses filter-lto should fail to have -flto in CFLAGS, because it was filtered; and every package which does not use filter-lto will have -flto in CFLAGS (because OP put it in make.conf, and without a call to filter-lto, it will be passed through the environment). Printing every package which fails to match lto in CFLAGS should find exactly those that actively removed it, which is the set the OP requested.

Thanks for the explanation!

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: