New SCALE tool enables CUDA applications to run on AMD GPUs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoopc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: New SCALE tool enables CUDA applications to run on AMD GPUs Reply with quote

Hello forum. Do you think this will help the Linux community get things moving? It seems that with this help it will be possible to bypass the license agreements. When will the time come and Linux distributions will gain good parallelization?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypassing license agreements is generally seen as a very bad thing. Did you mean that this allows users to get access to CUDA using only freely-licensed tools, rather than requiring them to agree to a restrictive EULA?

Parallelization seems pretty good here even without this. My multi-core system finishes jobs much faster when I allow parallelism than when I force make to run jobs serially.
Gentoopc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Bypassing license agreements is generally seen as a very bad thing. Did you mean that this allows users to get access to CUDA using only freely-licensed tools, rather than requiring them to agree to a restrictive EULA?

Parallelization seems pretty good here even without this. My multi-core system finishes jobs much faster when I allow parallelism than when I force make to run jobs serially.

Well, let's think about it. If I buy a video card at the price of an airplane and then am not its owner in accordance with the licensing agreements, then such licensing agreements are criminal. and the most important thing is that they cannot be bypassed. If you try to get around something criminal, is that bad? Well, this is just an example... about parallelization. no CPU can compare with a GPU in this. but I understand that, as always, there will be a thousand reasons to leave everything as it is. for some reason everyone is happy with everything.

Here you need to understand that I personally have nothing to get around. I don't have anything, software or hardware, that can be used to sum it all up as stated above. but I am very offended that those who make money from lies, those who sell old kernels as new, those who sell defects, suddenly want to accuse someone of wanting to own what they paid money for. such a person may be portrayed as a criminal by those who are such themselves. so don’t judge harshly ordinary people who are trying to find a way out of all the crap they’ve been driven into. Personally, I just heard enough of your topics about how corporations have driven you all into such a framework in which you can’t do anything. Therefore, I rejoice at any opportunity, any concessions that would help you, users of Linux distributions, develop.
Gentoopc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoopc wrote:
I think that they will come up with and continue development and make it possible to program the NPU in the CUDA_C++ language on an AMD_GPU that has an NPU
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duckduckgo finds this: https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/new-scale-tool-enables-cuda-applications-to-run-on-amd-gpus

So, SCALE is a toolchain that compiles CUDA source to binaries for AMD and maybe other GPUs.

The licence issue is about another tool, that translate CUDA *binaries* for non-Nvidia cards. *That* is a violation of the CUDA toolchain's EULA. SCALE has no such EULA.

I don't know if CUDA source --> SCALE --> AMD is any better than opencl source --> opencl --> AMD. But for an organization that already maintains lots of CUDA programs, SCALE obviously has value.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: