10 gbps network upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brundage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: 10 gbps network upgrade Reply with quote

I'm upgrading my home network to handle 10gbps speeds since I can get a 5 gig fiber internet connection for the same price as my 1 gig cable. :D

Besides adding the relevant network card driver to my kernel, what other preparations should I make for a desktop operating at that speed?
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brundage,

Usually have faster network require faster CPU, because rarely the "product" (byte and bits) are produced by network card. it is CPU that generate those bytes and bits. So do your desktop have fast enough CPU to generate? And what application(s) on your desktop that would generate this large amount of data?

High speed network card usually refer to both faster deliver of bits and do more in shorter time (in sense of concurrency), so a 1Gb data over a 1Gb network vs 1Gb data over 10Gb network, it does not mean the 1Gn data over 10Gb network will only take 1/10 of time. because there are many more factors involve. for example I don't think the other end of your desktop that you are interactive with are just at the other end of your network cable (as in peer to peer)

So in other words, prepare to upgrade everything (hardware, software) to take advantage of the new high speed card.
brundage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
brundage,

Usually have faster network require faster CPU, because rarely the "product" (byte and bits) are produced by network card. it is CPU that generate those bytes and bits. So do your desktop have fast enough CPU to generate? And what application(s) on your desktop that would generate this large amount of data?

High speed network card usually refer to both faster deliver of bits and do more in shorter time (in sense of concurrency), so a 1Gb data over a 1Gb network vs 1Gb data over 10Gb network, it does not mean the 1Gn data over 10Gb network will only take 1/10 of time. because there are many more factors involve. for example I don't think the other end of your desktop that you are interactive with are just at the other end of your network cable (as in peer to peer)

So in other words, prepare to upgrade everything (hardware, software) to take advantage of the new high speed card.

Yeah. I have a separate 10gig switch, 10gig router, 10gbit network cards for my desktops and NAS and network cables that can handle the bandwidth. It's been fun building this network out.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you inspect your kernel configuration for off load TCP to network card? may be the module driver have that capability and you can turn on.

Have you check your network gear, do they support jumbo frame? can your switch to have some sort vlan to support mix of jumbo frame and regular frame? One think I know your ISP will not support jumbo frame so you may need to introduce some sort of bridging to translate your internal network to ISP network.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Besides adding the relevant network card driver to my kernel, what other preparations should I make for a desktop operating at that speed?
Nothing really. Modern CPUs have enough Hz's and cores to keep up with those speeds.
How does 10Gb Eth look cost-wise right now though?
A few years ago it was still absurdly expensive, and a second-hand 16Gbps IB was a superior (though relatively unknown) option with one downside of expensive/difficult to get cables.

IB can natively carry IP traffic and offers RDMA (which BTW is supported by NFS), and adapters can be switched to ethernet mode if you really want it (e.g. 16Gb IB can be switched to 10Gb Eth and back to 16Gb IB again).
Just saying. Might be worth a shot.

Quote:
So have you inspect your kernel configuration for off load TCP to network card
Does TCP offloadig even work with ethernet adapters?
I mean, it's not a new concept, I have heard of adapters equipped with tcp engines, but never met one in person... Also, what about software compatibility? It surely changes the way stuff travels through network stack; would it be actually used if it was available?
brundage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
How does 10Gb Eth look cost-wise right now though?

It still ain't that cheap, but attainable.

• $400 Router: Gowin GW-R86S-U3
  • $180 Switch: Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+IN
  • $120 (3) network cards
  • $200 SFP+ transceivers and patch cables

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: