Installkernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koyan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Installkernel Reply with quote

The last couple of months there has been a lot of development on sys-kernel/installkernel. That's appreciated, there's a lot of newer functionality, but as someone who uses his own scripts to update and install the kernel, I'm not using a lot of it. That's no problem, most of the things I don't need, like automatic dracut invoking, systemd, grub, uefi or uki functionality, depend on USE flags and are disabled by default. Great!

But now since I think installkernel-44, there's two things that I can't just disable.

I use
Code:
make -s install
to install the kernel. I suppresses all normal output and only shows error messages. However installkernel now prints out
Code:

* Checking available disk space on /boot...
 * Disk space okay. Need at least 22097 KiB, found 365001856 KiB.
 * Appending installed kernel to /var/log/installkernel.log...

to STDERR instead of STDOUT. Even though these clearly aren't error messages, they print out and mess up the output of my scripts. I could put
Code:
make -s install 2>/dev/null
but then I'll miss any actual error messages should they arise. I hope in a future version this is adjusted to STDOUT.

Second annoyance is the new log file /var/log/installkernel.log. Why not just log to syslog? That way logging and rotation are all automatically taken care of. Or make it opt-in. I for one don't see a need for this to be logged.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installkernel Reply with quote

Koyan wrote:

But now since I think installkernel-44, there's two things that I can't just disable.

File a bug if you want developers to revert the installkernel behaviour, more effective than posting here about it.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can locally override anything by either:
- overriding the provided /usr/lib/kernel plugin in /etc/kernel (empty file with the same name effectively disables the plugin), or
- setting KERNEL_INSTALL_PLUGINS, INSTALLKERNEL_POSTINST_PLUGINS, INSTALLKERNEL_PREINST_PLUGINS explicitly to what you do want executed.

These details are documented on the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installkernel

Quote:
Or make it opt-in. I for one don't see a need for this to be logged.

I don't want to add another USE flag for something that has no extra dependencies, besides everything is overridable at runtime anyway. The reason for the logging is twofold:
- it assists with helping users on our support channels, since it allows to backtrack exactly what installkernel has done and how it was configured, and
- it makes it possible to properly fix kexec-tools: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/37742 (WIP)

Quote:
However installkernel now prints out ... to STDERR instead of STDOUT

That should not be the case, these hooks use echo like all the other ones. Is this installkernel with the systemd flag enabled or disabled?

Quote:
That way logging and rotation are all automatically taken care of.

Logrotation via logrotate I have fixed in the new version I pushed today.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Koyan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:

These details are documented on the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installkernel

Ah, I checked the man-page but didn't think to look on the wiki. I'll go through it.

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:

Quote:
Or make it opt-in. I for one don't see a need for this to be logged.

I don't want to add another USE flag for something that has no extra dependencies, besides everything is overridable at runtime anyway. The reason for the logging is twofold:
- it assists with helping users on our support channels, since it allows to backtrack exactly what installkernel has done and how it was configured, and
- it makes it possible to properly fix kexec-tools: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/37742 (WIP)

I understand. If it's overridable I have no problem with it anyway, I'll go through the wiki and find out how.

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:

Quote:
However installkernel now prints out ... to STDERR instead of STDOUT

That should not be the case, these hooks use echo like all the other ones. Is this installkernel with the systemd flag enabled or disabled?

Disabled. In fact there's no USE flags enabled at all. And I'm on installkernel-46 right now.

Thanks for responding AndrewAmmerlaan! Am off to check the wiki.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there was indeed some strange redirecting to stderr going on. I removed this for info/warn messages: https://github.com/projg2/installkernel-gentoo/commit/f2093f70c18db9fa815c3f1f10aa7d5d987be4a4

Please try again with version 47.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Koyan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:
Please try again with version 47.

Works perfect on 47.

Bedankt! :D