Can't get sddm to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlar0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: Can't get sddm to work Reply with quote

I've "finished" my install, but have been unable to get sddm to work (I've now spent more time fighting this than installing, but I'd prefer to learn something above trying a fresh install).

I'm using OpenRC, kde/plasma, wayland/kwin (more details/configurations to come below).

When I boot, I see:

OpenRC's init text
    Black screen
    blinking "_" character

I verified this was vt1 and popped over to vt2 to investigate. Also, I later discovered if I press enter, I get prompted to log in (unlike vt7 which isn't responsive to enter).

After I started digging around, I found quite a few errors in "/var/log/sddm.log" (I'll start editing this post with pastebins of configs after my first draft is done).
https://bpa.st/35XQ - last 1000 lines of sddm.log
There are many loops of:
"Using VT 1"
"Various things starting/authenticating"
Code:
Failed to take control of "/dev/tty1" ("root"): Operation not permitted

"Various things closing/stopping/etc"
Code:
Greeter stopped. SDDM::Auth::HELPER_TTY_ERROR

Things I've tried:

Quite a bit of fiddling around with config (sddm, displaymanager, and more, can be found at bottom)
    Googling the lines:
    Code:
    Failed to take control of "/dev/tty1" ("root"): Operation not permitted

and
    Code:
    Greeter stopped. SDDM::Auth::HELPER_TTY_ERROR

I've read through a number of github discussions and forum posts, but the vast majority seem x11/systemd related and the ones that don't haven't mapped to my personal configs.

I found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Draft/Quick_Installation_OpenRC_for_an_UEFI_System on one of those posts and cross-referenced all those steps against my setup/bash history with no luck.

I haven't yet experimented with building a branch of sddm, but if people don't have some ideas here, that might be my next step.

Edit: I also have errors in syslog related to "i2c" and "lspcon", but from Googling, these appear related to usb-C and HDMI. I am successfully using a keyboard/mouse (when I'd used the liveUSB) over a usb/thunderbolt dock, but I've never succeeded in getting my monitor to work. I'm using a laptop screen for now and have proceeded ignoring these errors for now (I'll eventually want to use an external monitor).

Edit: I'm going to start populating this post with some wgetpastes that might be helpful, let me know if there's a specific one that would help.

Configuration dump:
select profile list | grep '*' returns
Code:
[27] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma (stable) *

/etc/sddm.conf.d/01gentoo.conf - https://bpa.st/Z4HA
/etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf - https://bpa.st/7MRQ
/etc/conf.d/display-manager - https://bpa.st/FBPA

Interesting - this shows DisplayServer as x11, which doesn't match my /etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf
sddm --example-config output - https://bpa.st/UO5A
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are trying to run SDDM on Wayland or rootless X, then stop. Try running SDDM on X, even if you log into a Plasma Wayland session from there. Once you have it working when running in X, then you can experiment with running it in Wayland or rootless X.

It would be easier to help you troubleshoot this if you can at least verify that it works as expected on X. Once it is working on X, if you want to experiment with other options, fine. It would give us a better jumping off point to help you if the baseline is that it runs as expected on X, but when running it under Wayland, there is an issue. As of right now, it sounds like you have tried a lot of things, have various config modifications and are not sure what the issue is. The log you provided is not very insightful either.
kevlar0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. I was revisiting the manual to switch from wayland to x, and realized I'd installed "kde-plasma/plasma-desktop", not "kde-plasma/plasma-meta". Gave that a spin and woke up to everything working great after a reboot.

Everything is working now.

Thanks for your help.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to run SDDM on Wayland, you can. This is now the default in Fedora. It may be a better experience for you than it was for me. I would not recommend it personally. I tried it out recently on a physical machine, not virtual. I found it to be buggy and flaky as hell. I can't remember the exact issues but it was related to the fact that SDDM behaves differently under Wayland than X. Don't hold me to this but if memory serves me correctly one of this issues was that the SDDM greeter session didn't terminate after login as under X. It is still open on TTY1 and Plasma session is launched in parallel on TTY2. This interrupted the SDDM respawn behavior. I also use the old fashioned Ctrl+ALT+Backspace to terminate the Plasma Session and that didn't work as expected. I have Nvidia graphics so there was another caveat that I don't recall. For me all of the issues were showstoppers, so I reverted SDDM in Fedora to run on X for that trial run.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: