Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
replacing libglvnd with mesa libraries as much as possible!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: replacing libglvnd with mesa libraries as much as possible! Reply with quote

Hello folks ...

As the title suggests, I'm trying to put all possibly optimized mesa libraries for my machine as much as possible instead of libglvnd libraries, almost everything is going well, however in order to support glx libglvnd always produces it's own version of libgl.so which is different than the mesa's library of course and not linked against the same libraries, consequently mesa's libgl.so doesn't call libglx.so, and mesa doesn't seem to have the facility to produce a parallel libglx.so ...

I want either to avoid the collision by not getting libglvnd to produce libgl.so, or getting mesa to produce libglx.so!

I know it may sound stupid to some, but I searched and tried for a few hours with no joy so I thought I could ask, and please don't ask me why I'm doing it, I have a slow machine and I'm an optimization geek ...

Any suggestions?!
swanson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoyingly libglvnd was previously an optional USE dependency on Gentoo. It's unnecessary on single GPU or single vendor multi-GPU systems and does slightly impact performance. Makes life easier for non-source based distributions...

Anyway, create a dummy libglvnd-9999.ebuild package and (as I couldn't figure out how to make it install as multilib) edit the /var/db/pkg/media-libs/libglvnd-9999/USE (and maybe IUSE and IUSE_EFFECTIVE) files post-install and add the strings abi_x86_32 and abi_x86_64.

libglvnd-9999.ebuild:
EAPI=8

DESCRIPTION="The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library (fake install)"
HOMEPAGE="https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd"
SRC_URI=""

LICENSE=""
SLOT="0"
IUSE="X"
KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"

DEPEND=""
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"
BDEPEND=""

Some packages have a configure dependency for glvnd which fails if not found so you'll need to edit their ebuilds to pass an option to disable glvnd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: