[WORKAROUND] VirtualBox and VMware Workstation Both Hang PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:02 am    Post subject: [WORKAROUND] VirtualBox and VMware Workstation Both Hang PC Reply with quote

I am trying to run Windows 11 in a virtual machine on my Gentoo PC, but running a VM hangs various processes on my PC in the same way.

I tried both VMware Workstation (17.5.2) and VirtualBox (7.0.18_Gentoo r162988), which both result in the same behavior.

Symptoms / notes:
  1. The Windows 11 VM performs normally with no obvious errors or odd behavior.
  2. GNOME System Manager goes into Not Responding. Clicking "Force Quit" does nothing.
  3. Chome windows often do the same.
  4. I can open Konsole. Running sudo hangs the session. Running su allows me to access a root prompt.
  5. The utility "top" reports any stuck process in state D (Uninterruptable sleep)
  6. Shutting down Gentoo results in several systemctl services being unable to shutdown with a 1min 30sec timer, which loops indefinitely.
  7. While not shutting down, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del multiple times results in the "Forcibly rebooting" message, but the computer does not reboot. I must hold the power button.
  8. This behavior never occurs unless I start VMware Workstation VM or VirtualBox VM.
  9. I still have over 50% RAM available, even with the VM running.
  10. I have plenty of free disk space.
  11. I have tried other stressors, such as stress-ng, but I cannot recreate the state
  12. There are no filesystem errors.
  13. I have run a Memtest86+ long test with no errors.
  14. Both smartctl and nvme tests report no errors or bad metrics
  15. My kernel and all packages are up to date

What is the likely culprit?
What else can I try?
What additional info do you require about my system?

Last edited by sdz on Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One user from September 2023 and another from July 2024 report similar issues here:

Launching VirtualBox VM causes host to freeze

There are a couple of suggestions that may be worth trying. One for permissions and another to check the console for errors / related messages.
sdz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my VirtualBox Win11 VM files (including the virtual disk) to a second internal NVME. Now my Gentoo host PC does not hang when I run the VM. Problem solved.

Moving my VMware Workstation VM files to the other drive still causes my Gentoo host PC to hang. However with VirtualBox working, I do not need to investigate the root cause for VMware Workstation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: