View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: [Solvd]displaymanager don't work, but gnome can run from tty Reply with quote

Recently gdm stopped working, with no certain causes, probabally having something to do with nvidia-drivers. I got it to work some time by disabling the integrated GPU in the bios once, but after rebooting it didn't work again.

I found I could run gnome directly from tty:
Code:
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session

However, I've tried both gdm and lightdm, both enabling them to launch after booting and starting them later via systemctl from tty, and none worked.

Here's the log of gdm:

https://0bin.net/paste/SjzEhV3q#jTnOT4fu-i6cniz3lQcrgyTriCvRICK+5PNd8cetQIs

After trying to launch gdm, I only see a non-blinking keyboard cursor '_', and the tty I launch gdm from cannot be switched to anymore. However, other ttys seem to work fine.

EDIT: The following line seems concerning:

Code:

Aug 13 21:40:40 AprilGrimoire-Mechrevo gdm[5747]: Gdm: GdmSession: setting session to type 'x11'

I think Wayland is enable for gdm on my system:

Code:

(base) april@AprilGrimoire-Mechrevo ~ $ cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
# Uncomment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
#WaylandEnable=false

[security]

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[debug]
# Uncomment the line below to turn on debugging
Enable=true

EDIT2: I found another interesting thing. Why does gdm prefer X11?

Code:

Aug 13 21:40:39 AprilGrimoire-Mechrevo gdm[5747]: Gdm: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: Getting session type (prefers xorg, falling back: no)

Also I found that not all display managers fail to work, for example cli-based ones, such as ly. Guess I'm bearing with ly being shattered by system message lines for now before the problem gets fixed 8O

Any clues? Thanks! :D

EDIT3: I forgot to add Xorg configs in here, because I am using Wayland and didn't know display managers require Xorg to run with Optimus. Maybe some more documentation could be added? It requires three keywords 'Optimus', 'Wayland', 'Display manager' to work out, and noobs like me might have a hard time figuring it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: