[solved] redis OOM crash while running gvm under high load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: [solved] redis OOM crash while running gvm under high load Reply with quote

I dedicated 100 GB RAM to this VM, and 40 vCPU's as I knew that gvm will need many ressources. Then while testing I did some simoultanious scans - like 4 to 5 x /24 networkscans. It mostly worked while the box was experiencing heavy load.

However - I saw some scans not finishing but being interrupted at 98%.

Looking through the logs, it became clear, that the redis-openvas service crashed because of oom. A restart of the service redis-openvas restored scanning functionality.

dmesg -T shows:
Code:

[Di, 13. Aug 2024, 23:06:06] oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=openrc.redis-openvas,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/openrc.redis-openvas,task=redis-server,pid=2611,uid=495

[Di, 13. Aug 2024, 23:06:06] Out of memory: Killed process 2611 (redis-server) total-vm:155556648kB, anon-rss:99929064kB, file-rss:4896kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:495 pgtables:257052kB oom_score_adj:0

While I will for sure better plan scans in order to not overload the vm, but is there also a technical way to fix this "issue"? Can redis be limited somehow in its memory consumption?

Last edited by Elleni on Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
stefantalpalaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: redis Server OOM crash while running gvm under high load Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Can redis be limited somehow in its memory consumption?

Yes, with "maxmemory". You might also want to set "maxmemory-policy" to "allkeys-lru".

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Greenbone_Vulnerability_Management says that the Redis config file is: "/etc/gvm/redis-openvas.conf".
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: