Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Qt5 expected longeivity poll
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long Qt5 in your opinion will stay on our system ?
6 month
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
1 year
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
3 years
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
5 years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10 or more, i.e. forever, look at gtk2
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Qt5 expected longeivity poll Reply with quote

What would be your guess ?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtk2 main holdout still using it is GIMP, there is no major software similarly holding on to qt5 so the purge should be much faster.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
so the purge should be much faster.

I dunno, there is a commercial aspect to Qt, so without knowledge of what upstream support is contractually required it's hard to guess.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qt5 is much more of a mess to keep around than gtk2 is, and upstream support been garbage for non-commercial users. The only reason it's afloat is because KDE community been doing the support for Qt5 instead with large patchsets and backports from Qt6, but now that they're moving on to Qt6... Not to mention that our own Gentoo maintainers are moving on as well and do not necessarily have time or the will to keep working on Qt5.

Really hard to give an estimate when it'll go away from the tree like Qt4 before it though, will depend on state of the migration of packages and how much trouble Qt5 is causing. If we reach a point where the only packages left using Qt5 have dead upstreams and little hope to ever be ported to Qt6, last-riting these stragglers and then Qt5 could happen. Currently we're merely recommending that packages drop their optional Qt5 support and force Qt6 where possible so can "start" working toward it, and reduce pulling Qt5 on users' systems for nothing.

Some modules may go away earlier than the rest, e.g. qtwebengine:5 hopefully (but still plenty of blockers even just for that one).
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Qt5 is much more of a mess to keep around than gtk2 is, and upstream support been garbage for non-commercial users. The only reason it's afloat is because KDE community been doing the support for Qt5 instead with large patchsets and backports from Qt6, but now that they're moving on to Qt6... Not to mention that our own Gentoo maintainers are moving on as well and do not necessarily have time or the will to keep working on Qt5.

Really hard to give an estimate when it'll go away from the tree like Qt4 before it though, will depend on state of the migration of packages and how much trouble Qt5 is causing. If we reach a point where the only packages left using Qt5 have dead upstreams and little hope to ever be ported to Qt6, last-riting these stragglers and then Qt5 could happen. Currently we're merely recommending that packages drop their optional Qt5 support and force Qt6 where possible so can "start" working toward it, and reduce pulling Qt5 on users' systems for nothing.

Some modules may go away earlier than the rest, e.g. qtwebengine:5 hopefully (but still plenty of blockers even just for that one).

Yep, that is why I am uncertain as well. I just reviewed what I do have qt5 dependent, and it is not much but pretty useful stuff. KDE apps will probably move fast (though one that I use everyday, kdesvn, seems frozen), but outside of KDE few things do not show much drive
to switch to Qt6. None of the LaTex packages I use (texstudio and texworks), nor, painfully, wpa_supplicant GUI part. I am actually starting to feel there is a decreasing activity in writing Qt apps outside of KDE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: