View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vespaman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Plasma 6.1.4 restarting programs on login not working Reply with quote

I bet this has been asked before, but I cannot find any posts about it.

But, I got Plasma 6.1 on an update during the summer, coming from Plasma 5, and are now on 6.1.4

I have huge problem with the feature that remembers open programs - it simply does not work one bit. The only program that reopens, is okular, which I had plenty of in plasma 5, so it kind of makes sense that it is there, but all windows are opened without any content, and not minmized, which I had in plasma 5.

But if I log out with any program open, now, it does not open up on restart, and all the empty okular windows are always opened, even when I have closed them before the last logout.

The setting in system settings -> session is set correctly, but I think there's something going on with that dialog, since at some point, I have had no radio button selected when I open this setting up. Now it says 'by last logout' though.

Is this a known issue, and/or what can be done? Is there some file somewhere that keeps track of the open programs on reboot, that might be corrupt, perhaps?

I am on wayland, but according to release notes the restart should work with plasma 6.1.

Edit: I found a file, ~./local/state/plasmasessionrestorestaterc, that is somehow related, becuase it held all my okular program/windows, and after removing the okular entries in this file, they did not startup anymore. Maybe plasmasessionrestorestaterc is the manually created file, and this was created during migration or something.
But things still does not work, now thunderbird and firefox restarts, but nothing else.
vespaman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also now, I realize I have the exact same issue on a new install (not coming from Plasma 5).
Firefox and thunderbird does restart, nothing else, such as konsole etc.

What might I have missed? Some emerge that is needed for this, or a use flag perhaps?
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the current stabilisation of Plasma 6, I am also wondering what the state is of this major version compared to Plasma 5. I'm running ~amd64 (profile 48: "split-usr/desktop/plasma (stable)") and I've got the same issue with P6 not remembering my previous session. The only things that reopen are gkrellm (of course on desktop 1 and not desktop 6 where I want it) and my 9 Firefox windows, although they all open on desktop 1 and don't remember their position on the screen. Their sizes are correct, though. When I open KWrite, it comes up with the number of instances that I had opened in the last session, but they're all blank. Dolphin luckily remembers all my tabs, even if I have to start it manually. I've had basically the same desktop setup for many years, and it's annoying to have to repopulate with the 24 windows on 6 desktops that I use to have running after every reboot.

Also, there are lots of missing icons. In the system tray, only "placeholder" icons and a mouse cursor for "Show hidden icons" show up. The main Plasma menu icon to the left in the taskbar only shows an empty document. In my "favourites" menu, System Settings and Konsole have placeholder icons.

There's also a minor annoyance with the height of the taskbar which is constantly changing.

Are these issues reflecting the current state of Plasma 6, or are there things that I can/should do to correct them myself?
Frautoincnam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma 6 is a real disaster for me. The icons on my dashboards disappear when you hover over them. The window rules don't work at all.
It's unbearable.
My only ambition now is to downgrade all that.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
With the current stabilisation of Plasma 6, I am also wondering what the state is of this major version compared to Plasma 5. I'm running ~amd64 (profile 48: "split-usr/desktop/plasma (stable)") and I've got the same issue with P6 not remembering my previous session. The only things that reopen are gkrellm (of course on desktop 1 and not desktop 6 where I want it) and my 9 Firefox windows, although they all open on desktop 1 and don't remember their position on the screen. Their sizes are correct, though. When I open KWrite, it comes up with the number of instances that I had opened in the last session, but they're all blank. Dolphin luckily remembers all my tabs, even if I have to start it manually. I've had basically the same desktop setup for many years, and it's annoying to have to repopulate with the 24 windows on 6 desktops that I use to have running after every reboot.

Are you using a Wayland (now default) or X session? Try the other.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
There's also a minor annoyance with the height of the taskbar which is constantly changing.

I don't think that's what you're seeing. It is the "floating toolbar", which of course can be configured.

... and just in case, y'all remember to do dispatch-conf or etc-update after upgrades, right?

Frautoincnam wrote:
The icons on my dashboards disappear when you hover over them.

Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If yes, you could try adding
Code:
[QtQuickRendererSettings]
RenderLoop=basic
SceneGraphBackend=opengl

to your ~/.config/kdeglobals

Frautoincnam wrote:
My only ambition now is to downgrade all that.

Resistance is futile.
finoderi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never trusted session restore, so I don't know if it's working now or not, but I don't have other problems that were mentioned here. All icons are in place, nothing changes without my permission ).
I've noticed only one minor issue - there is no device in 'Colour Management' section in System Settings, but the colour correction is working with the ICC profile I chose in 'Display & Monitor' section.
Also the plasma overall feels a bit snappier than before and start-up time is much shorter now.

After the upgrade was done I chose to use new config every time dispatch-conf asked me. There were about 5-6 new configs.
vespaman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from restore, my icons also are living their own life, esp if I go between desktop 4k screen and laptop screen. Also, sometimes, I am not allowed to rearrange the icons as I'd like.
Then libreoffice calc is opening its right click dialogs far away from the mouse pointer, virtual box has issues with multiple desktops etc etc.

All minor bugs, but still annoying. But going back to plasma 5 is a huge work, I hope the fixes will arrive soon-ish. Session restore is the one I hate to be without the most.

Have not tried to avoid wayland, but maybe it will come to that, if it stays like this.
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
Also, there are lots of missing icons. In the system tray, only "placeholder" icons and a mouse cursor for "Show hidden icons" show up. The main Plasma menu icon to the left in the taskbar only shows an empty document. In my "favourites" menu, System Settings and Konsole have placeholder icons.

Are you running X11 or Wayland? Which theme are you using?

I have Plasma 6.1.4, Frameworks 6.5.0, Qt 6.7.2, Kernel 6.6.47, and X11. I only have the default themes installed: Breeze, Breeze Dark, Breeze Twilight, and Oxygen. With Breeze, all the icons show up nicely. I see a "placeholder" icon for Libreoffice with the other three themes. Ano on Oxygen, the clipboard icon in the system tray is there, but it's hard to see.

On the start menu, I saw "placeholder" icons for xfburn and avahi conf browser. I selected replacement icons for those two, So I was able to make "Breeze" cover everything in my start menu..

I tried logging in to a Wayland sesssion, but that still doesn't work for me. The mouse doesn't scroll smoothly. It's very jerky, and almost impossible to work with.

Good luck!
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma 6.1.4 restarting programs on login not working Reply with quote

vespaman wrote:
I have huge problem with the feature that remembers open programs - it simply does not work one bit. The only program that reopens, is okular, which I had plenty of in plasma 5, so it kind of makes sense that it is there, but all windows are opened without any content, and not minmized, which I had in plasma 5. ...

I found a bug report on the KDE bugzilla site: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=487912

This was in Plasma 6.0.5.1, so it should be fixed in 6.1.4. But maybe it was overlooked somehow. Here's the patch, from the bug report.

Code:
+++ b/ksmserver/server.cpp<---->2024-06-04 08:47:52.966458262 +0300
@@ -397,6 +397,7 @@
         IceSetPaAuthData(2, &(*authDataEntries)[i]);
     }
+    (void)fclose(fp);
     return (1);
 }

I'll try to test it and see if it works. If I can remember how to set up a patch. :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a workaround posted in the bug, not what was finally committed upstream. Make sure to post your results after trying that patch, I'm curious.

EDIT: Please note that the bug you've found was specifically in X11.

Regarding Wayland sessions, please read about known limitations: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Known_Significant_Issues#Waiting_on_new_Wayland_protocol

With problems like these, *always* state your session type.

davidbryant wrote:
I tried logging in to a Wayland sesssion, but that still doesn't work for me. The mouse doesn't scroll smoothly. It's very jerky, and almost impossible to work with.

GPU and driver?

Last edited by asturm on Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbryant wrote:
Are you running X11 or Wayland?

I'm running X11. I haven't figured out how to try wayland yet. The message "switching to the still existing X11 session is as easy as selecting it in the display manager of choice" in the newsletter is probably intended to be reassuring, but it's gobbledygook for me. I'm using XDDM for login. Will I have to change that?

Edit: Actually, it looks like I'm using Wayland. I looked at "top", and Xwayland is prominently positioned at the top of the list. No Xorg in sight. When P6 was initially started on my computer, I was pleased to see that OpenTTD finally didn't break the transparency setting in Konsole. That's probably Wayland's doing, then. I must say I've had no negative experiences with it. But it goes to show how little GUI sense I've got. I'm basically a text guy, which is why I'm using Linux in the first place.

Quote:
Which theme are you using?

I'm using a somewhat eclectic mix, with Breeze as the main theme, but the window decorations are from Plastik. The taskbar is Oxygen I think, but I'm unable to find the settings right now. Whenever I venture into the KDE system settings, I'm reminded of the old Windows meme: "You are trapped inside a maze of dialog boxes, all alike." The options have cryptic descriptions and do unexpected things.

I have used KDE since the 3.x days, and with the upgrades to 4 and to 5 I had to reconfigure a whole lot of things. This time, I was surprised to see my dual-line taskbar come up as usual, but with weird or missing icons. I'll probably have to delete something from ~/.cache, but I hate to do it.

Edit: And suddenly, probably after touching the taskbar settings, all the icons are in place. Weird. Hopefully the desktop will eventually restore itself too.
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
GPU and driver?

GPU is VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 [GeForce RTX 2060 Rev. A] (rev a1)

I'm using the nouveau driver, compiled into the kernel.

I'm having a little trouble with the patch. I found the same line of code in the plasma-workspace package (plasma-workspace-6.1.4-r1.tar.xz), at /ksmserver/server.cpp. The patch should follow line 396; line numbers have changed slightly since 6.0.5. I'll keep trying, but I'm no expert on this. Must have coded something wrong in the patch file.
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
The message "switching to the still existing X11 session is as easy as selecting it in the display manager of choice" in the newsletter is probably intended to be reassuring, but it's gobbledygook for me. I'm using XDDM for login. Will I have to change that?

I don't know much about XDDM. I use SDDM, Anyway, on the main login screen, before you log in to KDE, there should be a drop down list somewhere on the left side, usually (top left, or bottom left). You should be able to use that to switch between X11 and Wayland.
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
That's a workaround posted in the bug, not what was finally committed upstream. Make sure to post your results after trying that patch, I'm curious.

EDIT: Please note that the bug you've found was specifically in X11.

Well, I finally got that patch installed, and it's partially successful.

I tested it by locking the screen, then logging back in. That worked flawlessly: 5 of 5 running applications were still running when I signed back in.

Log out didn't work quite as well. When I logged back in, the two libreoffice windows that had been open were gone. But the other 3 applications (yakuake, kpatience, and infocenter) were still running. Interestingly, the infocenter app had gone from a minimized button on the taskbar to a medium-sized window. At least it was still running.

I haven't tried a reboot yet. I need to review my system settings before I try that. [EDIT] Just tried a reboot. It works like log out: KDE apps restarted, libreoffice didn't. Oh -- I had Firefox running when I did "restart", and it was still going when I logged back in. I had a file open in Kate; it was still open after the restart. But I had been logged in as root in Yakuake, and had three tabs open. Came back up with just one tab, and running as david, not as root.

In case anyone is interested, here's what I did. First I created a directory:
Code:
mkdir /etc/portage/patches/kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-6.1.4-r1

Then I used Kate to create a file named ksmserver.patch in the new directory.
Code:
--- /ksmserver/server.cpp     
+++ /ksmserver/server.cpp     
@@ -395,6 +395,9 @@
         IceSetPaAuthData(2, &(*authDataEntries)[i]);
     }

+        (void)fclose(fp);
+        return (1);
+   
     if (fclose(fp) != 0) {
         qWarning() << "Could not close ICEAuthority file";
         return 0;

I then re-emerged the plasma-workspace package:
Code:
emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-workspace

If you want to verify that your patch file is set up correctly, do this.
Code:
cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/kde-plasma/plasma-workspace
ebuild plasma-workspace-6.1.4-r1.ebuild clean prepare

This was sort of fun. The biggest difficulty was in identifying which Gentoo package needed the patch. The other distros talked about "ksmserver", but there is no Gentoo package with that name. I did find ksmserver (an executable) in the /bin directory. I saw that it had been created 9/01/2024 at 11:47 am CDT. I generate log files for all my Gentoo builds. So I just had to scan /var/log/portage to find which package compiled at 11:47 am yesterday. Voila! it was kde-plasma/plasma-workspace.

Last edited by davidbryant on Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
equery b ksmserver

... or a look at the bug ("Latest Commit:") would have also gotten you there.
Frautoincnam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If yes, you could try adding
Code:
[QtQuickRendererSettings]
RenderLoop=basic
SceneGraphBackend=opengl

to your ~/.config/kdeglobals

Yes Nvidia.
SceneGraphBackend=opengl solve the icons problem.
I managed to solve several problems including the window rules one.
I still have one problem (at least). I can't add launchers (.desktop created by me) in my desktop panel because when I go to configuration edition, I no longer have access to the launched applications (including dolphin) and I can't drag and drop icons as I was used to before.

I think I've spotted other drawbacks, but I've forgotten them for now. I'll see with use.
Quote:
Resistance is futile.

When you need your computer and you can't do much with it anymore, it's a natural reflex.
I spent a part of the night and all my day on it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Frautoincnam on Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frautoincnam wrote:

I still have one problem (at least). I can't add launchers (.desktop created by me) in my desktop panel because when I go to configuration edition, I no longer have access to the launched applications (including dolphin) and I can't drag and drop icons as I was used to before.

1. Left click on the start menu icon.
2. Find the application for which you want to create a shortcut.
3. Right-click on the application's name.
4. A menu appears. Select "Add to Desktop", or "Pin to Task Manager".
5. To remove a shortcut, right-click on it and make a menu selection (either "delete" or "unpin").
Frautoincnam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbryant wrote:
1. Left click on the start menu icon.
2. Find the application for which you want to create a shortcut.
3. Right-click on the application's name.
4. A menu appears. Select "Add to Desktop", or "Pin to Task Manager".
5. To remove a shortcut, right-click on it and make a menu selection (either "delete" or "unpin").

This has always been possible.

I don't want to add a app which is in the menus. I want to ADD MY OWN .desktop as I said.
And when I'm in edition mode, I only have access to widgets. Impossible to drag&drop MY .desktop.
davidbryant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frautoincnam wrote:

I don't want to add a app which is in the menus. I want to ADD MY OWN .desktop as I said.
And when I'm in edition mode, I only have access to widgets. Impossible to drag&drop MY .desktop.

All the "shortcuts" on your desktop are associated with a text file in ~/Desktop. Try looking in that directory. You can probably figure out how to create a new icon on your desktop by saving an existing file under a new name and then manipulating its contents. Most of the stuff in those files is superfluous ... the name of the application in 100+ different languages. It will work with just one or two name= entries. I bet you can make that work.

I don't know how the taskbar shortcuts are coded. But you can create new desktop shortcuts with a text editor.
Frautoincnam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbryant wrote:
All the "shortcuts" on your desktop are associated with a text file in ~/Desktop.

False
But I don't care about desktop. I talk about desktop panel.

Quote:
Try looking in that directory.

Code:
$ find ~/Desktop ~/.local/share/plasma_icons/ -name "*.desktop"
/home/chris/Desktop/battlenet.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/WoW-TGC.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshVMMedion.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshVMServeur.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/CurseForge.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/vncviewer.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/VNC Medion_RO.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/WoW.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/VNC Medion.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/SweetHome3D.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/telegramdesktop.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshMedion.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshServeur2.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/vncviewer_RO.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/chris.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/FreeCAD_0.18-16146-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/grisbi.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/android-studio-android-studio.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshVM.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/gedit.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/org.kde.konsole.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshVPS1.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/xlogout.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/wow-wine.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/ShutOff.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshAspires11.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/sshSvs15.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/Battle.net.desktop
/home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/bat.desktop

Only one in ~/Desktop.

Quote:
You can probably figure out how to create a new icon on your desktop by saving an existing file under a new name and then manipulating its contents. Most of the stuff in those files is superfluous ... the name of the application in 100+ different languages. It will work with just one or two name= entries. I bet you can make that work.

Are you sure you understood my problem?
I wrote all /home/chris/.local/share/plasma_icons/*.desktop

Quote:
I don't know how the taskbar shortcuts are coded. But you can create new desktop shortcuts with a text editor.

And where do you think the desktops that I want to add to the desktop panel come from?
You didn't understand the problem. I put it back in red in the original post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: