vm_enough_memory: not enough memory for the allocation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: vm_enough_memory: not enough memory for the allocation Reply with quote

I was getting this obscure warning in dmesg, which seems to imply it should have triggered the OOMkiller but it didn't.

[ 3195.419424] __vm_enough_memory: pid: 6176, comm: , not enough memory for the allocation

Not that it didn't trigger oomkiller on my 64G machine, there's plenty of memory left IMHO.

I was initially getting this on my 20G+10G and 24G+12G swap machines and also get this on my 64G+16G swap machine. Process died on the 20GB machine, process was eating 32GB RAM so my 24G machine was heavily into swap, however, the 64G machine shouldn't have flinched. Yet the dmesg warning showed up.

What specifically does this message mean? I think this has to be a userland issue but unsure why this is showing up on my 64G box.

This is an amd64 box and should be running a 64-bit app (though it is wine64) so address space shouldn't be an issue...though if wine had some legacy that required working in a 32-bit environment,,, but clearly it was trying to use more than 32GiB, perhaps there's some other limit here at 32GiB?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure given not something I've run into myself, but gives me the impression it may the low kernel defaults for vm.max_map_count (see also https://bugs.gentoo.org/927896, can try increasing it with sysctl).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...possible alas the behavior is slightly different, it doesn't crash until it runs out of actual physical memory -- except for the 64GiB machine. I'll have to do some more experimentation with the 64GiB machine and watch memory usage as the allocation goes over 32GiB.

I still don't think the app should be consuming 32GiB to begin with. The official memory requirement is 8GiB system memory minimum and 16GiB "recommended"...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: