Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
where should I look for current RaspberryPi images?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: where should I look for current RaspberryPi images? Reply with quote

TL;DR: uh, where's the current RaspberryPi system image?

Uh:

I'm just getting my feet wet with a couple of RPi boxes. I've run them with a few Linux flavors but past life as a Gentoo addict has spoiled me. So!

As far as I've been able to tell, the classic "boot [here], install [there]" isn't practical on a Pi; instead it's the "download the image we'll run," write that on the microSD, tweak, and away we go. Right?

Assuming that is right: my current hangup is, I haven't been able to find such an image. For instance when I look here:

https://github.com/GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit

...where there's a linke:

https://github.com/GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit?tab=readme-ov-file#downloading-and-writing-the-image

...and:

Quote:

# wget -c https://s3.genpi64.com/genpi-aarch64-desktop-latest.img.zst
# zstd -d genpi64desktop-latest.img.zst -o genpi64desktop-latest.img

...but both of those are dead links. So, I'm guessing, there's some other "where we keep stuff now" site. I've googled around, found a few sites but they're older than this one. Hint me?

Thanks.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't appear to be a Gentoo project, and the members aren't visible, so there is that.

On the linked page it does list the following:
Quote:
NB: Currently as of January, 2024 we don't have up-to-date images as we are fixing our CI. Images are expected to be available again sometime during 2024. In the mean time, unofficial ones can be asked from our Discord.

twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks, I overlooked the Discord part. Curses.

Sorry for the noise.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: where should I look for current RaspberryPi images? Reply with quote

twork wrote:
Might this be what you want?

- John
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the great Raspberry Pi Install Guide [1] at our wiki, which I should be following right about now myself!

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_Install_Guide
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a Pi install for the first time myself. Neddy's threads were a godsend!

- John
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have benefited from the work Neddy has done with his Pi guides over the years. Thank you, Sir.

It's also hard to realize that Sakaki had to EOL her Pi stuff almost a full 4 years ago. I've meant to go back and re-read her guides to see what I may better understand now, after the time I have spent with my Gentoo Pi's.

I'd also like to add that, for daily computer tasks, I have found a Pi 5 with an NVMe drive to be more than enough.
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the RPi 5 with NVME is pretty impressive for every day use. I have now retired my 6-year old PC server and replaced it with the Pi. Moved the hard drives into an external USB enclosure. Overall, the setup uses about half the power of my previous setup with an Intel i7 and a full-tower case with hard drives. I can't wait to see more ARM-based entries into the personal computing market.
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: where should I look for current RaspberryPi images? Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
twork wrote:
Might this be what you want?

You'd think... I started there... and at the Install Guide, and looking at the older "Pi4-specific" area, but out of habit I treated it the way I treat a CD while setting up some past hardware (x86 etc.). Boot from this; from this runtime, create a bootable system Over There...

But -- and here, tell me if I'm wrong -- on a Pi, there's no way to boot a CD (or, CD-like image like an SD) from some source other than the machine's default; then use that CD-stored system to configure, and build, a fresh install on a microSD. Surely, the assumed standard is not to set up a network install...?

That's where I got to the idea of creating an arm64 VM, running that image in a VM on my desktop; going through the setup process on the VM, then dd'ing that to the SD. I got through that up to the point where the just-written mcroSD starts the Pi. It crashes at the stage when the bootloader tries to switch over to the "real" runtime kernel. We've all seen this before in other circumstances. I couldn't figure out how to solve it in this case.

That was when I (should have already) realized that the GenPi64 project was just about making a runtime image.

So, clue me: in the arm64 world, I'm guessing that most of the world is of folks using hardware with a wider set of controls than what we see on a Pi -- so, the "boot a CD, make a system" step is the same as on other, past hardware?
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I followed the link to modern-day work on the Discord site. From the image directed there, wrote that to a microSD... and it failed just the same way I'd been hitting previously. Boot loader works, but doesn't swap over to a real-time kernel.

So I am obvsly confused about something basic.

Shocking, I know.
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, error on my part:

twork wrote:
Then I followed the link to modern-day work on the Discord site. From the image directed there, wrote that to a microSD... and it failed just the same way I'd been hitting previously. Boot loader works, but doesn't swap over to a real-time kernel.

No: the latest GenPi64 image is coming up just fine on my Pi4 machines. Ignore me. Sorry for the chatter. Thanks, all, for your patience, and yes, thanks to Neddy for this and so much else.

I still don't quite grasp some stuff, see my previous, but my present issue appears to be fixed.

Thanky.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: where should I look for current RaspberryPi images? Reply with quote

twork wrote:
But -- and here, tell me if I'm wrong -- on a Pi, there's no way to boot a CD (or, CD-like image like an SD) from some source other than the machine's default; then use that CD-stored system to configure, and build, a fresh install on a microSD. Surely, the assumed standard is not to set up a network install...?
So, clue me: in the arm64 world, I'm guessing that most of the world is of folks using hardware with a wider set of controls than what we see on a Pi -- so, the "boot a CD, make a system" step is the same as on other, past hardware?
In a word, yes. It's so firmly part of the Gentoo Lore that you can use any bootable media to install Gentoo (and something that I internalized long ago) that I planned my install like this even before the shipment arrived:
  1. Boot the standard Raspian image on SD.
  2. Plug in the install media (I used a USB stick), create the requisite filesystems, and mount the root filesystem on /mnt/gentoo as usual.
  3. Follow the install guide from there.
  4. Shut down, remove the SD, boot up.
  5. Declare victory.
That all worked very well and, in fact, took less time than a standard install because you don't need to build and configure the bootloader or kernel. If I wanted to, I could transfer the installed Gentoo back onto the SD, but I'm aiming for eventual M.2 storage via a hat before I do that. Anyway USB 3.x isn't that slow. This could also have been done in-place on the SD by arranging for an additional partition on which to create the Gentoo root, but I digress.

- John
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is you could have limited your checklist to only contain point #3 if you used your PC as the installation medium :lol:

Just write to the target disk directly; unless it's an eMMC soldered to the RPi board, physically moving it to your PC and back into RPi would basically halve the work required.
Things have changed quite a bit since the times when had to dive under your desk to disconnect your PC from mains and unscrew the case before you'd find your HDD tethered to the mobo with IDE connectors which couldn't be disconnected until you spent a few days at a local gym... And then repeat the process with another PC you didn't have :lol:
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about "halve", but fair point. At the start I was expecting the install process to be more similar to x86 where you chroot into the environment and do stuff. I was rather nonplussed when I was done so quickly.

szatox wrote:
... Things have changed quite a bit since the times when had to dive under your desk to disconnect your PC from mains and unscrew the case before you'd find your HDD tethered to the mobo with IDE connectors ...
Yeah, now they're tethered with SATA connectors. ;)

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: