cant have a plasma profile with MUSL/LLVM , COMBINE PROFILES
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
User7z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: cant have a plasma profile with MUSL/LLVM , COMBINE PROFILES Reply with quote

i want to use musl/llvm profile , but iam a desktop user so i need to combine this profile with the plasma one, i search online , i read the wiki it explains profile structure and give a suitablel example , but i really didnot get it , it says i need a parent file, could some one plz explain how to make musl/llvm profile combined with the plasma profile ? or even plasma/systemd if posssible ?
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I found in my notes
Code:

# mkdir -p /var/db/repos/local/{metadata,profiles}
# chown -R portage:portage /var/db/repos/local
# echo 'local' > /var/db/repos/local/profiles/repo_name
# nano -w /var/db/repos/local/metadata/layout.conf
===>
masters = gentoo
profile-formats = portage-2
<===
# nano -w /etc/portage/repos.conf/local.conf
===>
[local]
location = /var/db/repos/local
<===
# mkdir -p /var/db/repos/local/profiles/no-multilib-plasma
# echo -e "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma\ngentoo:default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib" > /var/db/repos/local/profiles/no-multilib-plasma/parent
# echo "amd64 no-multilib-plasma dev" >> /var/db/repos/local/profiles/profiles.desc

To combine plasma and no-multilib
see also
[url]
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8694188.html#8694188
[/url]
So in your case
Code:

mkdir -p /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd

echo -e "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/musl/llvm\ngentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd" > /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd/parent

echo "amd64  musl-llvm-plasma-systemd  dev" >> /var/db/repos/local/profiles/profiles.desc

Or simply
Code:

echo  "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/musl/llvm"   >  /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd/parent
echo  "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd"   >>  /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd/parent

echo "amd64  musl-llvm-plasma-systemd  dev" >> /var/db/repos/local/profiles/profiles.desc

Linux people try to make things look complicated :)
Adapt the namings to reflect your own case.
Then
Code:

eselect list
eselect profile set <number of the new combined profile>
env-update
emerge --info
emerge -uDUav @world

Shadow_Fury
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've probably thought about this already, but in case you haven't,

Bear in mind that Nvidia's drivers will not work on musl, so if you want them, you'll have to stick with glibc. also, any binary built packages will struggle to run on musl (i.e. most games) if you don't have an NVIDIA GPU or are willing to use noveau, and don't plan to play games, you should be fine.

I tried to build a similar system once, and got all the way to display drivers before realizing, so i thought i'd post the warning in hopes that no-one else will waste a week like i did,
User7z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Here is what I found in my notes
Or simply
Code:

echo  "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/musl/llvm"   >  /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd/parent
echo  "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd"   >>  /var/db/repos/local/profiles/musl-llvm-plasma-systemd/parent

Linux people try to make things look complicated :)
Adapt the namings to reflect your own case.

thank you so much , it really made it simpe now ,though there was an example in the wiki it was not syntax wise , there was those shortcuts that confuses me , after i understand the proccese ii try but it doesnot work , i well asume thats just because it is still a new undone stage3 installation , and after reboot the local profile well apear , if thats the case systemd well not be availble and not really a probleme for me , openrc is goud enough , if it was an issue i well report back , for readers there was that file musl-llvm-plasma/eapi should set to 8 according to the wiki,
User7z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow_Fury wrote:

Bear in mind that Nvidia's drivers will not work on musl, so if you want them, you'll have to stick with glibc. also, any binary built packages will struggle to run on musl (i.e. most games) if you don't have an NVIDIA GPU or are willing to use noveau, and don't plan to play games, you should be fine.

thankfull not using nvidia ,though iam trying this as fun/learning , any proprietary crap attracting linux platform are just considering glibc , but that might change if musl was the way to go in the future , also nvidia as i read online , well make their new gpus availble with opensource drivers.
Shadow_Fury wrote:

I tried to build a similar system once, and got all the way to display drivers before realizing, so i thought i'd post the warning in hopes that no-one else will waste a week like i did,

thank you that difenitlly well save people's time/effort
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: