View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: three cd/dvd drives? Reply with quote

I have two CDRW drives and would like to add a DVD burner - can I have three of these devices or do I need to get rid of one (IDE)? I have two HDs on IDE0 and two CD devices on IDE1 - where would the DVD burner go? The ribbon cable for my two CD drives only has two connectors.

I also use these kernel params "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" for the CD devs - would I add hde* for DVD? Do IDE users use SCSI emulation for DVD burners as well?

Mike
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the onboard ide connectors only support 2 devices each giving you a maximum of 4 ide devices you can use, so either loose one or buy an ide pci card which lets you plug more ide devices in.

oh yeah, most dvd burners also act as cd burners so there isnt really any need to have both.

If you run a 2.6 kernel then you dont need any of the ide-scsi kernel parameters
TheGodAnubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDE can only support 2 devices per ribbon cable. your options are a) purchase and install an IDE controller card so that you can have more IDE slots or b) remove one of your other IDE devices so that you can install this one without the addition of another IDE controller.
TheGodAnubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... guess I should have typed faster.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: three cd/dvd drives? Reply with quote

nordic bro wrote:
Do IDE users use SCSI emulation for DVD burners as well?

I don't think any IDE users use SCSI emulation anymore (well, I guess people on old kernels like 2.4 do)
The Turtle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: three cd/dvd drives? Reply with quote

shm wrote:
I don't think any IDE users use SCSI emulation anymore (well, I guess people on old kernels like 2.4 do)

Considering that 2.4.22 is the latest Gentoo-Sources available, I would guess that there are still plenty of us on the "old" kernels who need it.

I've had nothing but trouble getting my DVD-R drive working and would welcome doing away with the emulation, but I don't know enough about kernels to understand the implications of switching to different sources.
POLAX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Another alternative Reply with quote

Another alternative would be to buy a PCI IDE card. You can get one that supports hardware RAID then :D

:!: You may also have to make sure your power supply can handle the load of course :!:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: