Sound cuts out when I change tty
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Sound cuts out when I change tty Reply with quote

I suspect this is an enhancement I should have wanted all along :-) but...
its a KDE pipewire setup, and when I Ctl-Alt-Fn to change to another session, my MPD music stops. WTF? I suppose I have to configure something to say "it's BACKGROUND music - keep it playing".
I someone knowledgeable could point me in the approximate direction, I'll duly edit whatever... Thanks.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I switch from KDE to another console using Ctrl-Alt-Fn, the music is paused too. But if I login as the same user on that console, I can hear the music playing in the music application on the other console. Does that happen for you? Also, have you tried either of the suggestions in the following Stack Exchange Ask Ubuntu post: Why does audio stop playing when switching to a virtual terminal??

My blog
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced audio shutdown after switching to tty long time ago, when pipewire wasn't even a thing...
That was with pulseaudio & jack audio stacks.

It only occurred a while after switching, like playing the remaining data from an intermediate buffer before shutdown.

I've just tested from X11/LXDE & X11/KDE working fine here on the long term.
Not tested with pure wayland yet.

Can't recall how I fixed it, besides I may have to do with some kernel option, IIRC. :oops:
I keep stirring up memories...

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As at least a data point, albeit one not involving a KDE context, here's my setup, in which i continue to get audio from MPD even when switching from my 'desktop' VT to another VT.

i use Wayfire as my WM, which i start manually after logging in on a VT.

When i log in on a VT, and before i start Wayfire, various things are started via .zlogin. In this context, the relevant things are:
  • a D-Bus session bus, whose DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS i make available to the environment of the login session, i.e. to all subsequent programs i start from that session.
  • MPD.
i then start Wayfire from the console. Once Wayfire is started, i have a `create-desktop-environment` script which, amongst other things, call the `gentoo-pipewire-launcher` script; this starts PipeWire, the PipeWire Pulse shim, and the WirePlumber session manager for PipeWire.

Although my user is indeed a member of the `audio` group, i don't directly specify the `group` setting in my MPD config file; i have it commented out (which is my way of reminding myself of a config option that's available even if i'm not actually using it).
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems at least somewhat similar to an issue [1] that I started seeing when I switched from nvidia to AMD graphics.

As discussed in [SOLVED] Network doesn't work in Xorg after switching TTY [2] a while ago, it is a bit more severe than just audio interrupted, where it has an effect on networking even.

Logging in as the same user doesn't seem to change it for me (only tested the mpv + streamlink + live stream quickly for now though).

Per the findings there, the cause for that particular issue does seem to be pretty old, but I'm unsure if the effect has always been the same.

Perhaps it would make sense that one user would not hear audio from another, even on the local machine, but the network issue at least seems more than odd.

1. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1406
2. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1167704.html
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having started this thread, I then got involved in something else and ignored it. So now I begin to understand why there's another thread labelled Sound on linux is never getting easier, isn't it?. I glanced at /etc/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf.d/gentoo-sound-server-enable-audio-bluetooth.conf, and thought "fine, but those few lines enable bluetooth audio, and I have none", and then I looked at /usr/share/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf and thought "Oh fsck!"

IIUC what all this trying to solve is mingling different AV feeds - in my case I usually want MPD running as an OpenRc service running as user mpd (in group audio), and so putting music audio on the LineOut socket of my sound card. And that should run whatever screen I'm on - KDE desktop as me, tty1 as root, the other tty/id I use as club treasurer, etc. But then of course, if I decide to play a YouTube video on KDE desktop, ah, then I'd want MPD to pause, or maybe mute. Now I get the problem - wireplumber/pipewire/whatever has to guess what I want to happen, and maybe even I as user don't know what I want.

I thought a GUI might help, but it probably wouldn't. Maybe I should shout at an AI "Turn that damn music down, I' m trying to make a call in here". To say nothing of getting off my lawn.

Any, thanks for the various solutions - I'd pick one, if only I knew what my problem was :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: