Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Legacy nvidia-304 driver for new kernel.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkyolemedina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Legacy nvidia-304 driver for new kernel. Reply with quote

Hello,

I've recently been running into issues trying to install an Nvidia Legacy driver (304.137).

It started out with me getting a triple visioned command line on my first boot up of Gentoo after a fresh install.

Anyway, I was starting to give up hope when I suddenly came across this fix for new kernels: https://github.com/flydiscohuebr/nvidia-304?tab=readme-ov-file#nvidia-304

However, they don't have a fix for the Gentoo distro.

Has anyone found a patch for Nvidia legacy drivers that work on new kernels for Gentoo? Or can anyone use the information from flydisco to formulate a patch for Gentoo.

Just curious, I'd like to add an x-environment to my laptop (Compaq Presario f700) if possible and this would be the only way to make it work.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1117500.html

EDIT: sorry, misread the numbers, not the correct thread, but maybe it contains something useful.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
molletts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Nouveau not work? It's not perfect (I used it on a GTX260 for a while and it tended to gradually run out of video RAM during gaming sessions as if there was a bit of a memory leak and would sometimes lock up the GPU so hard that even the PC's reset button didn't give a successful restart when I used the hardware video decoder) but if all you want is a working X session it's worth a try. Desktop performance was actually better than the Nvidia binary driver.

Failing that, have you tried dumping all the patches from the Arch branch of the github repo you linked (the ones in https://github.com/flydiscohuebr/nvidia-304/tree/main/Archlinux/nvidia-304.137/nvidia-304xx) into /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers and building the 304 driver? I haven't checked to see if it even builds successfully (and I don't think I have any hardware to test if it works) but it could be a starting point. The usual thing that needs fixing up with patches from other distros is the file paths in the +++/--- lines - sometimes, they need an extra directory inserting to match the way Portage unpacks the driver package versus the way the other distro handled it.

(I was using patches from Arch to keep the 340 driver alive with the latest kernels until a few months ago; I'm now doing the same with the 390 driver having upgraded my #2 PC from a GTX260 to a GTX460.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: