distributing kernels built on binhost server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: distributing kernels built on binhost server Reply with quote

I'm looking for some advice improving the way I install my kernel from a central build machine.

For regular packages I have a binhost setup, but for the kernel I have this system compiles the kernel and I share the /usr/src/linux directory over NFS. The other systems on my network mount the NFS share and just run `make install`. However, as of late when I do this I get:

Code:
# make module_install
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22607’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22612’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22617’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22622’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22627’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22757’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22762’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22767’: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.tmp_22772’: Read-only file system
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'module_install'.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:234: __sub-make] Error 2

Nothing gets installed. This makes sense I guess, and though it's not clear to me why it needs to make temp directories in this spot to install, I don't think I want to make this a directory writable. How is everyone else going about this?
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try make V=1 to get better information about what's going on, as it'll print the commands to-be-executed, but FWIW, gentoo-kernel is really made for this (working with binpkgs).
torham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo-kernel seems close to what I want, I'll experiment with it. I'd like to start my config from `make defconfig`, normally I use ./scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh to merge my changes from this point. I do see there is a savedconfig option, so I suppose I could run `make defconfig` and copy it over every now and again. It would be nice if there was a way to run a script to prepare the config though.

I also have a custom initramfs, presumably I could put any script in /etc/kernel/preinst.d?
freke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that copy/pasted output - or typed?

Shouldn't it be
Code:
make modules_install
instead of
Code:
make module_install
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torham,

first of all: Welcome to Gentoo Forums ! :D

So, you're another one who configures and installs his kernel himself - like me. :lol: You even have your own custom intramfs. But I'm just wondering why you want to do a “make install” when two simple copy commands can do the job? How the “make install” works is nowadays controlled by the “installkernel” package, which can do some automagic things ... :roll:

Just copy from NFS/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage to /boot or /efi (depending on how you boot your clients) (and run a "grub-mkconfig" afterwards if you use grub). You might want to browse these two articles.
* https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#Cheat_Sheets
* https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Boot_kernel_via_UEFI#Cheat_Sheets_for_a_standard_stub_kernel

The same applies to your initramfs - the 2nd copy job:
torham wrote:
I also have a custom initramfs, presumably I could put any script in /etc/kernel/preinst.d?

On a side note, I don't understand why you're doing this either:
torham wrote:
[...] normally I use ./scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh to merge my changes from this point.

If you've only created a config ONCE that is exactly what you want, then you can use it over and over again by doing a “make oldconfig” with it.
( https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#What_is_.22make_oldconfig.22_.3F )
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: distributing kernels built on binhost server Reply with quote

torham wrote:
However, as of late when I do this I get: "Read-only file system"
There was a fairly recent change to security defaults on NFS. I had to change export options (on a system that's been working for 15 years I might add!) to include "no_root_squash", but if you've been exporting "ro" all along then you can ignore that.

If it just wants to make .tmp-[something] files, maybe you can sidestep it with
Code:
mkdir ~/local-linux; cd ~/local-linux; for file in /path/to/nfs/linux/*;do ln -s $file ./$(basename $file);done; make install;make modules_install
which makes a writable local directory and adds the contents of the NFS share as symlinks. You can obviously delete the directory afterwards.

If it is just making .tmp-[something] files though, there is probably a more elegant solution with having the kernel source directory writable by a specific user, and making sure that user is used to access it on the client end; as said user won't have the rights to delete/alter anything extant (as only the NFS host's root user would have that privilege) you can "safely" export/mount it as read/write, but that involves setting up kerberos IIRC (read: A chore if the symlink one liner works, IMHO).
torham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone.

pietinger wrote:

But I'm just wondering why you want to do a “make install” when two simple copy commands can do the job?

Well, it is mostly about installing the modules.

pietinger wrote:

If you've only created a config ONCE that is exactly what you want, then you can use it over and over again by doing a “make oldconfig” with it.

I did do this originally, but found that the config fell out of date over time. It also seemed easier to keep track of the changes I made instead of the full config.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: