View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using bind9-dnsutils from Debian, or another format from somewhere else? Or perhaps an overlay that uses such a package? (I can't tell what the eras-overlay does).

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/bind9-dnsutils
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary distributions have the advantage of being able to build something once from source and then split up the resultant image (even with hacks) and it being normal in their culture.

The eras-overlay version, AFAIK, simply does what the old bind + bind-tools ebuilds did but with more hacks because of the aforementioned changes entrenching the tools. You're free to use that, or binaries from Debian, if you wish, but I maintain that it's essentially snakeoil to do so given the same library code is there, even. Just INSTALL_MASK if it bothers you, but then the onus is on you to not exclude any necessary files.

I'll also note a point I don't think I made earlier -- one of the big issues with the lack of build system support for this split means you need any and all dependencies the main build needs, you can't divide it into just the tools dependencies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: