upgrade block perl kde/plasma [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s|mon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: upgrade block perl kde/plasma [solved] Reply with quote

I am also running into issues during current world upgrades i can not resolve on my own (not seeing the hint).
Looked into world file but nothing i could pin it to myself.

https://bpa.st/TDDVG this is the emerge output

https://bpa.st/PCNJW selected
https://bpa.st/3QHCK world
https://bpa.st/LBT44 installed-testing

on the KDE part my understanding so far would be that
Quote:
=kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-5.116*:5 required by (kde-frameworks/kcmutils-5.116.0:5/5.116::gentoo, installed) USE="-debug -doc -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
=kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-5.116*:5 required by (kde-frameworks/kconfigwidgets-5.116.0:5/5.116::gentoo, installed) USE="man -debug -designer -doc -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
=kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-5.116*:5 required by (kde-frameworks/kxmlgui-5.116.0:5/5.116::gentoo, installed) USE="-debug -designer -doc -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
=kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-5.116*:5 required by (kde-frameworks/kio-5.116.0-r2:5/5.116::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X acl handbook kwallet -debug -designer -doc -kerberos -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
=kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-5.116*:5 required by (kde-frameworks/kdeclarative-5.116.0:5/5.116::gentoo, installed) USE="-debug -doc" ABI_X86="(64)"

are requiring the old 5 stuff but i don't see them in my world or version pins on my keywords file.
Any hint which step i am missing to resolve this on my own, or where i would need to look at.
All of them have :6 slots shown for upgrade and i have no slots fixed on world as far as i see for any of that either.

On Perl i have
Quote:
PERL_FEATURES="ithreads"
on my make.conf since the news item and had no issues since then. Not sure what is going on there (did another sync with no improvement). Would be curious which line of these give the important hint.

Sorry if it is obvious and i am just not seeing it.
Thanks for any support!

Last edited by s|mon on Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, there is a news item related to this KDE Plasma 6 and KDE Gear 24.05.2 upgrade that you should read.

Code:
[blocks B      ] kde-frameworks/kguiaddons:5[-kf6compat(-)] ("kde-frameworks/kguiaddons:5[-kf6compat(-)]" is soft blocking kde-frameworks/kguiaddons-6.5.0)
[blocks B      ] kde-frameworks/kglobalaccel:5[-kf6compat(-)] ("kde-frameworks/kglobalaccel:5[-kf6compat(-)]" is soft blocking kde-plasma/kglobalacceld-6.1.4)
[blocks B      ] kde-frameworks/kwallet:5[-kf6compat(-)] ("kde-frameworks/kwallet:5[-kf6compat(-)]" is soft blocking kde-frameworks/kwallet-6.5.0)
s|mon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it may be frustrating as developer if things are described and users still dont't get it (maybe i am done for today, i have ran over the news item 2-3 times). I could have sworn i am still running a desktop profile on this machine, which is why i did not catch that part.
Nevertheless a more straightforward hint would be welcome!

Honest question on the output of the softblocks: how do i know which part is the crucial part (like in that case -kf6compat)?
Is it just because it is mentioned? If yes would it not make sense to mark this red. Because i read these lines as stating the obvious (slot 5 blocks slot 6) for a package with that use deselected.

And sorry if that sounds like a complaint - lack of time/sleep does not help - but that is what i saw when interpreting the output.

For any others running into that issue: apparently i was not using a desktop profile and therefore needed to add
USE="kf6compat qt6" globally
as stated in the textual part of the news entry
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage output is already quite colorful. Read it like a sentence - "this package with this version:slot and that (singled out) USE setting is softblocking that other package version"

Portage can't tell you exactly what is wrong or how to solve - for that it would need to be able to read your intentions.
s|mon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure and thanks for the quick reply.
Just thinking of improvments (and also trying to learn/remember such things on my end).
Because what i saw was the main summary on the end of the emerge output which shows the blocks but not the lines with the use flag you highlighted out these are within 800 lines (yes due to verbose-conflicts) of other output above.
So in case of kguiaddons i have 11 lines out of 800+ of output on that packages with one line having the hint (besides the sentence on the news which one needs to cross check as well).
Which in case of people tends to missed hits.

But again thanks a lot for the patience and providing me the learning on how to handle another variant of blocks in future (checking use flags on the lines with [blocks] - maybe i need to grep for blocks on the complete output in addition to the summary/error at the end.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: