View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: KDE6 performance Reply with quote

Since yesterday I notice my laptop consuming a lot more power.
htop shows two processes - plasmashell and kwin_wayland, taking 20-30% of a cpu (I have only two on this pathetic little thing).
It drops a lot if I move the cursor over the start bar thingy (not sure what it's called, the bar at the edge with start, activities, etc. etc.)
It's an AMD setup.
Any ideas how I might investigate further?
astroe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the news. When Plasma was updated to version 6, Wayland has just become the default Plasma session. Wayland takes up a lot of CPU if it can't leverage the hardware acceleration capabilities of your graphics card.

Your options are to either (1) manually switch back to the Plasma-X11 session instead of Plasma-wayland when you login or (2) try your hand at setting up Wayland to use hardware acceleration.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astroe wrote:
Check the news. When Plasma was updated to version 6, Wayland has just become the default Plasma session. .

Well, he knows that since he has kwin_wayland running. As a data point, I run X11 and I have not noticed any difference in speed relative to plasma-5
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I've been running KDE5 with Wayland for about a year, and not hit this issue. It's new with KDE6.

I might try playing with some of the new settings - one change that might be relevant is "shake cursor", which I enabled (or maybe is default). I'm not on the laptop at the moment, and my desktop machine has so many cores the problem isn't visible!
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not KDE6 per se, it's firefox. And at least if I move the cursor out of the firefox window, it stops....
sinatosk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm now using Gentoo with a Framework Laptop 16 ( AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS with Radeon 780M ) and KDE Plasma 6.1.4 with Wayland

I've recently moved from another distribution where I was using KDE Plasma 5.27 which I later upgraded to 6.0 and then 6.1, moved to Gentoo ( recently ) and enabled 6.1 testing and then later reverted it to stable after Gentoo recently stabilized 6.1.

In those 5.27/6.0/6.1 instances I noticed that plasmashell was using an unnecessary amount of CPU ( 10-30%~ ), later found that not having my panels auto-hide and not floating reduced this usage to 0-2%~.

In those same 6.0/6.1 instances ( I don't remember 5.27 ) I noticed high usage with Firefox when just looking at an idle page like the Gentoo forums, reddit.com with nothing changing on the pages

I found some other people experiencing similar issues and replied there (take a look) with some details

I later rebuilt (remerged?) Firefox with Wayland local USE flag disabled ( forcing Firefox to use Xwayland ) and the CPU usage has drastically dropped and sometimes just gone (0%~).

Firefox is doing something unnecessary ( maybe bug(s) ) when it's using Wayland, so I'm just using Firefox with Wayland support disabled ( Firefox only ) for now.

I haven't got around to reporting the plasmashell and/or panel issue yet to kde bugzilla ( this one has been bothering me since February/March )
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinatosk wrote:

I found some other people experiencing similar issues and replied there (take a look) with some details

I later rebuilt (remerged?) Firefox with Wayland local USE flag disabled ( forcing Firefox to use Xwayland ) and the CPU usage has drastically dropped and sometimes just gone (0%~).

Firefox is doing something unnecessary ( maybe bug(s) ) when it's using Wayland, so I'm just using Firefox with Wayland support disabled ( Firefox only ) for now.

I haven't got around to reporting the plasmashell and/or panel issue yet to kde bugzilla ( this one has been bothering me since February/March )

I ll say probably something stupid here and would like to be corrected, but isn't it a point of Wayland that it offload rendering work to applications, which was done before by X ? Isn't it why it is "simple" ?. So you expect that your experience will depend how a particular application implements rendering ?
sinatosk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
sinatosk wrote:

I ll say probably something stupid here and would like to be corrected, but isn't it a point of Wayland that it offload rendering work to applications, which was done before by X ? Isn't it why it is "simple" ?. So you expect that your experience will depend how a particular application implements rendering ?

Then I would also expect to see xwayland/xorg/kwin_wayland_wrapper/kwin_x11 up there with high usage like I do with kwin_wayland as Firefox is sending request to those display servers
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinatosk wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
sinatosk wrote:

Then I would also expect to see xwayland/xorg/kwin_wayland_wrapper/kwin_x11 up there with high usage like I do with kwin_wayland as Firefox is sending request to those display servers

Again, I do not know what is happening, but from the logic perspective no, you do not necessarily have to expect that, because rendering work may be different in those cases. Imagine, hypothetically that Firefox decide to redraw its image 30 times a second, whether it is static or not and does blindly. While in another pipeline X11 sees that it is asked to draw same image again and ignores repeating the work. Again, I m not saying at all that is happening, just that two pipelines may be doing different amount of work
sinatosk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
sinatosk wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
sinatosk wrote:

Again, I do not know what is happening, but from the logic perspective no, you do not necessarily have to expect that, because rendering work may be different in those cases. Imagine, hypothetically that Firefox decide to redraw its image 30 times a second, whether it is static or not and does blindly. While in another pipeline X11 sees that it is asked to draw same image again and ignores repeating the work. Again, I m not saying at all that is happening, just that two pipelines may be doing different amount of work

ok, maybe I didn't express that part enough but this is partly what I meant by "Firefox is doing something unnecessary ( maybe bug(s) ) when it's using Wayland"
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more play, and I retract my statement blaming firefox. The behaviour I noticed is with any window: if my mouse cursor is over the Panel (what I called the start bar), cpu usage is negligible. If it's over the anywhere else, it's about 30%.

Ahah! If I make the Panel "always visible", then with the cursor over the desktop, cpu usage is 1-2%. If it's over a firefox home page it varies between 1 and 4%, and in the forum "Post a reply" text box I'm using now, it's 10-14%. Reverting to "autohide", but changing "Adaptive" to "Opaque" Opacity (I think that's new), it exhibits the same behaviour. So I think it's the Panel Opacity code that's to blame. Disabling "Adaptive" looks good move if you use "Autohide".

If the behaviour is consistent over the next day, I'll open a KDE bug, though based on my previous KDE bugs, some of which I opened years ago, and AFAICR none of which have received any response, I won't hold my breath.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, give as much information as you can in your bug report. Successful bug resolution is not just a one way street.
sinatosk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KDE panel setting Visibility set to "Always visible", Opacity set to "Adaptive", changed to "Opaque" and then changed to "Translucent", the plasmashell usage issue is not there for me

When I change the Visibility to "Auto hide", regardless of the Opacitiy setting, the plasmashell issue is there for me. When my mouse cursor is over the KDE panel, the usage drops to 0-2%~

=======

regardless of the KDE panel Visibility and Opacity setting with Firefox viewing reddit.com front main page and another showing gentoo forum "portage & programming" ( it doesn't happen on all websites )

Firefox Xwayland support ( USE = X -wayland ) and the usage of CPU and GPU is low as expected

Firefox with Wayland support ( USE = -X wayland ) or ( USE = X wayland ) and the usage of CPU and GPU is high unless I minimize Firefox, but after maximizing again the issue comes back

I'm using amdgpu_top to monitor the GPU usage

=======

I think there are two sets of issues here, plasmashell and Firefox

edit: this is with Firefox 130 but it has happened with previous versions of Firefox ( 129 and 128 I do remember )

Last edited by sinatosk on Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe these will get you somewhere:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=487895
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=491034
sinatosk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Maybe these will get you somewhere:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=487895
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=491034

Thanks, #491034 is the one that matches closest to me
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

487895 looks right for me.
I noticed a strange icon on my panel - turns out to be a Plasma 5 widget that won't run on Plasma 6. Unhelpfully, Plasma doesn't tell me the name.
On my first trial, it appears reverting to an "Adaptive" panel no longer triggers the high cpu. But I'll give it some time before I'm sure...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: