Help understanding emerge warning about dev-libs/boost
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Help understanding emerge warning about dev-libs/boost Reply with quote

Hi folks

Can anybody help me to understand what's going on here? I did a regular `emerge --blahblah @world`, and I get the attached message about boost.

It seems to me that emerge wants to install version 1.85.0-r1, but can't because other things depend on 1.84.0 (?) I looked in the .ebuild files for the packages that it's complaining about, and none seem to express a need for some specific version of boost -- not that I can see, anyway.

Can anyone explain why the upgrade can't be done? Or (better) how I can find out myself? And does it matter?

BR, Lars

Code:

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

dev-libs/boost:0

(dev-libs/boost-1.85.0-r1-1:0/1.85.0.1::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) USE="bzip2 context icu nls stacktrace zlib -debug -doc -lzma -mpi -numpy -python -tools -zstd" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" conflicts with
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (dev-libs/libixion-0.19.0-2:0/0.18::gentoo, installed) USE="-debug -python" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (media-gfx/freecad-0.21.2-r3-3:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="addonmgr fem gui idf image inspection material openscad part-design path points qt6 raytracing robot show surface techdraw tux -cloud -debug -designer -netgen -pcl -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0=[zlib(+)] required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.19.2-4:0/0.18::gentoo, installed) USE="spreadsheet-model -python -test -tools" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^         
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0=[context,nls] required by (sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="nls openmp -doc -examples -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^             
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0 required by (app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2-1:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="-gnome -java -kde" ABI_X86="(64)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse2" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (sci-mathematics/cgal-5.6:0/14::gentoo, installed) USE="-doc -examples" ABI_X86="(64)"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (media-gfx/openscad-2021.01-r5:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="-emacs" ABI_X86="(64)"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (dev-util/mdds-2.1.1-3:1/2.1::gentoo, installed) USE="openmp -doc -test" ABI_X86="(64)"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (dev-cpp/libcmis-0.6.2-3:0/0.6::gentoo, installed) USE="-man -test -tools" ABI_X86="(64)"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0=[context,nls,python,python_targets_python3_12(-)] required by (sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="nls openmp -doc -examples -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^                             
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by (net-libs/libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.10-1:0/2.0::gentoo, installed) USE="dht ssl -debug -examples -gnutls -python -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0=[nls] required by (app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2-1:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="-gnome -java -kde" ABI_X86="(64)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse2" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^     
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a featwre of a rolling release distro.

There is a newer version of boost in the tree than the version you have installed.
However, you can't have it yet as other things that depend on boost, need the older, installed version.

Once everything is updated to use the new boost, it will install.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Once everything is updated to use the new boost, it will install.

Thanks.

For my own education, it would be nice if I had a way to figure out what was holding boost at the older version. The .ebuild files for the conflicts don't seem to provide the answer. Not that I can understand, anyway.

BR, Lars.
freke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the current packages you have installed needs a mix of python 3_11 and 3_12 to be satisfied, ie. libreoffice-bin is 3_11 - so might need python3_11 enabled for boost, too?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear,

Code:
   dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by ...
is the clue here.
The PYTHON version is a red herring in this case

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Code:
   dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0= required by ...
is the clue here.
The PYTHON version is a red herring in this case

Thanks. But I looked at the packages that were said to be required, and they didn't seem to have an ebuild dependency on a specific version of Boost. For example,
Code:
freecad-0.21.2-r3.ebuild
has:

Code:

RDEPEND="
        ${PYTHON_DEPS}
        dev-libs/OpenNI2[opengl(+)]
        dev-libs/boost:=
        dev-libs/libfmt:=

Unless I'm missing something (and that wouldn't be unusual), I don't see anything that asks for a specific Boost version. What have I overlooked this time?

BR, Lars.
nicop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

RDEPEND="
${PYTHON_DEPS}

:=Means any slot is acceptable. Additionally indicates that your package should be rebuilt if the version best matching the runtime dependency is updated to a version with a different slot or subslot. (cf wiki)
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
Unless I'm missing something (and that wouldn't be unusual), I don't see anything that asks for a specific Boost version. What have I overlooked this time?

The binary LibreOffice seemingly does, in the form of a subslot:

libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2.ebuild
Code:
BIN_COMMON_DEPEND="
   dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0
"

lars_the_bear wrote:
Code:
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.84.0=[nls] required by (app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2-1:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="-gnome -java -kde" ABI_X86="(64)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse2" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11"
                  ^^^^^^^^^^

As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicop wrote:
Quote:

RDEPEND="
${PYTHON_DEPS}

:=Means any slot is acceptable. Additionally indicates that your package should be rebuilt if the version best matching the runtime dependency is updated to a version with a different slot or subslot. (cf wiki)

Ah, OK. That makes sense. Thanks.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: