View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Plasma 6 autohide slow: [Feature not a bug] Reply with quote

You may have noticed that since switching to Plasma 6, auto-unhiding the panel has become painfully slow. This is a fact. The panel takes up to an entire second to show itself. This makes your lightning desktop system feel like a pentium 1. Bravo KDE, you really know how to make your users feel good about upgrading.

But it turns out this is a *feature* not a bug, but the solution is not obvious. There is nothing to see in "Configure Icons-Only Task manager".

The reason is that people have been asking for over a decade to be able to deliberately set the auto-unhide delay time, and the feature request bug was fixed in plasma 6. But it pertains not to the task manager, but to screen edges.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=267277

So go to System Settings -> mouse and touchpad -> screen edges

Turn down the "Activation delay" and you're back to normal.

Cheers,
Jon.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting: my system has activation delay of 150 ms, and seems fine. I never set it, so I suppose it's some default either new in Plasma:6 or inherited from somewhere in Plasma:5.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Interesting: my system has activation delay of 150 ms, and seems fine. I never set it, so I suppose it's some default either new in Plasma:6 or inherited from somewhere in Plasma:5.

I also have it at 150 ms (and reactivation delay at 350 ms), and do not remember ever setting it (although, theoretically, I could). I do not use auto-hiding panel though
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: