Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

One thing I've considered using one for is the "generally on and available" stuff so I don't have to keep a PC running 24/7. I'm sure it would do most of what I'd want very well, but then I have yet another environment I have to maintain, so it simply hasn't been compelling enough.

I don't really feel my Pi NAS has to be maintained. If it were exposed to a hostile network environment, that might be a different story. But, sitting in my house running rsyncd, I'm not bothered.

Also, these are commodity devices. If I cook one of them -- and I do this fairly frequently in my embedded applications -- I just throw it away and buy another on eBay. The entire operating system is on an SD card, so I just plug the card into a new board. And if I blow up the card, I have a backup I can flash on a new card in a minute or two.

Of all the computer stuff I have in my house, the Pi-based stuff is the only part of it that is completely reliable.

But, as I've said, my applications are undemanding. I don't care whether my daily backup takes one minute or two.

I haven't been brave enough to install Gentoo on them yet, though. For my embedded applications, I built the operating system from scratch using scripts. I've re-implemented Portage, badly. I'd like to try Gentoo on the Pi, but it's not come to the top of my to-do list. I think this will be a job for my retirement. For the NAS I just use DietPi, with no X or desktop stuff.

There are specific "NAS" images for RPi, but I haven't tried any of them.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: