View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Another kde6 problem: display is shifted after login Reply with quote

I see others are having kde 6 problems.

As the title says. What's happening is that the display is shifted slightly to the left, so that the left side of the display is at around the 80% mark measured from the left side of the screen. The screen works, the mouse wraps, but of course this is annoying.

The problem can be fixed by going to settings -> display and changing the frequency to something else and then changing it back to the standard setting, but of course this is an annoying fix.

I was having other kde 6 problems so I wiped all my settings, this shouldn't be a clash of old kde 5 config files clashing with kde 6 (if I wiped all config files correctly, which is not a trivial task).
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to be able to disable kscreen, but there is no "start-up config" (or whatever it was called) now.
There is kscreen-console and kscreen-doctor, which you may be able to script to effect an "automatic fix" with, and certainly use to find any errant config files, at least until something trickles down from upstream...
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turns out to be a Plasma 6 bug, you will obviously have to go upstream with your details, since downstream packaging will not be able to help you with such a problem.. But you haven't even stated if that was a Wayland or X session yet. Regarding config - did you also remove ~/.cache?

This is not something I have ever heard from, and it really sounds related to specific hardware/driver circumstances. Hence, more details needed.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ralphred: I don't understand what kscreen does or how it affects the problem.

@astrum: I don't know if it is upstream or not. I did not remove all of .cache. I removed all files in .config, .local, and .cache that looked like they had something to do with kde or plasma.

I had kde5 for years on my machine and this did not happen. It only happened after the kde 6 upgrade.

the machine uses wayland (both on kde5 and kde6), so I don't think wayland is the cause. I am happy to post hardware/software details. what would you like?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
I don't know if it is upstream or not.

I'm saying, nothing we (in Gentoo) do can possibly cause that. Just make sure you have kde-plasma/plasma-meta installed, then you can say you use Plasma as supported by Gentoo maintainers.

juniper wrote:
I did not remove all of .cache. I removed all files in .config, .local, and .cache that looked like they had something to do with kde or plasma.

I'm saying remove .cache.

juniper wrote:
I had kde5 for years on my machine and this did not happen. It only happened after the kde 6 upgrade.

No doubt, if you mean Plasma 5 to Plasma 6.

juniper wrote:
the machine uses wayland (both on kde5 and kde6), so I don't think wayland is the cause. I am happy to post hardware/software details. what would you like?

Just try with X11 session anyway? It's so easy to simply try and add another data point on your way to diagnose the problem, way easier than creating a fresh testuser profile just for testing, which btw you should also try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: