Installing Gentoo Via Arch/CachyOS. issue /run/shm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymous1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo Via Arch/CachyOS. issue /run/shm Reply with quote

"When using non-Gentoo installation media, this might not be sufficient. Some distributions make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/ which, after the chroot, becomes invalid. Making /dev/shm/ a proper tmpfs mount up front can fix this: " is arch/cachyos one of the distributions that do NOT make this symbolic link? i cant seem to find /run/shm so this leads me to think that it doesnt but I wanna be sure. This will be my second time installing gentoo and Im doing it properly and going deep into the nitty gritty of everything where as last time i did a quick speedrun with barely any customisation so pretty much like redcore but harder. just followed a guide by a youtuber called denshi. He does it on linux mint but I already had a cachyos iso so i just rolled with that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing to do is check when you're at that step.

Looking at the cachyos cli installer, it's a nearly 1GB ISO. For a cli installer, that seems really, really large.

It's also 2+ years old (sourceforge, which cachyos lists as a source)
Code:
cachyos-cli-linux-220330.iso    2022-03-31    952.4 MB
I suppose it may include a complete basic system, but at 2+ years old, that seems questionable.
anonymous1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have mentioned im using cachyos as a livegui install method instead of mint or something else...

may i ask how and what i am meant to check at that which step as I am at that point in the guide where I am made aware of this situation... arch and cachyos dont seem to have /run/shm and so can I just forget about it in this case or do is there something else i ought to do.... I tried doing as the guide said anyway in the warning and i get another error, so this leads me to believe that i dont have to deal with that symbolic link stuff.
Thanks again people!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the specific point in the guide where it mentions that, but I presume you have to be booted to the cachyos livegui to be there, no?
Quote:
Some distributions make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/
As an example, here you can see that /dev/core is a symlink while /dev/shm is not:
Code:
$ ls -ld /dev/{core,shm}
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Sep 10 10:54 /dev/core -> /proc/kcore
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 Sep 10 10:54 /dev/shm

anonymous1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its under the page installing the base system https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base and under the chapter? Chrooting. the first red box. I have gotten to that stage in the cachyos live gui and have tried running what is said in the guide as i have linked above and i just get the error that no such directory exists...
I am booted from the cachyos livegui, I tried the livegui by gentoo itself but i couldnt actually get the live gui, only the gentoo@livecd terminal interface.
Can I just skip this minor point as it seems i dont even have the directory to begin with? or...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point you would not yet have "entered" the chroot which is the next step, correct?

If I understand what you're indicating, the cachyos livegui does not have a /dev/shm entry at all, correct? What is the output of ls -ld /dev/shm ?

If it indicates "No such file or directory" then I would create it as per the instructions in the Warning block which include "mount ..." followed by "chmod ...".

It seems to me the guide expects it to exist, and to exist in a certain way.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See your other thread, I've pointed you to the correct reported working live gui iso. Last night I just glanced over the relevant thread and picked up the problematic link, instead of the working one.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: